AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question, but this seems like the busiest forum in the gaming sections (and the one where all PX4 owners hang out), so...

I do most of my gaming/TV watching/listening to music, in the living room, at night, when I can't turn up my speakers and fully enjoy the audio. So I decided to go and get myself a headset. Now, because of the layout of my living room, I MUST get a wireless headest.

What I'm looking for is:

a. Versatile connectivity - like say an optical cable that can connect to the PS, Xbox, TV, streamer, HTPC and everything else

b. Good wireless capabilities - as little interruptions as possible

c. Good sound quality - I'm not really an audiophile, but I can appreciate a good sound quality and cheap headphones hurt my ears. I benchmark here is my old wired GameCom 777 headset, which IMO sound superb! I don't really care about surround though - never heard of REALLY good surround headphones.

BTW, I must mention that I don't care at all about live chat! I almost never use it.

I've done some research and have narrowed it down to 4 final candidates that, according to the interweb, fit my needs and my budget:

1. Turtle Beach PX4 - seem to have gotten mostly positive reviews, bust most of the reviews and the users' feedback seem to revolve around PS4 live chat comparability (which I don't care about) whereas the sound quality is usually mentioned as "good enough".

2. Skullcandy PLYR 1 - very positive reviews praising both their sound quality and the stability of the wireless. Seems like quality build and comes with a charging stand. My only concern is that, being Skullcandy, they might be a bit bass-y.(?)

3. Omega Wireless Headset with a Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D - very obscure, very few reviews - but the few reviews that exist are mostly positive. Fully configurable with through a software, THX standard, 50mm drivers. My concern is connectivity - it says it connects to PC, PS3, Xbox360 and PS4, but it will probably not work with a streamer or TV and you can't input from a receiver.

4. TRITTON WARHEAD 7.1 - I've never really considered it until 5 minutes ago, when I saw it's price has been cut to $148 on Amazon. It's a high end headset, but I know a lot of people hate Tritton.

So, I'd like to hear advice from people who had hands on experiences with any or all of these headsets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm comparing the px4 and plyr 1 as well. Looking to invest in my first headset and the px4 supposedly has amazing sound with bad build quality and skullcandy doesn't have as many reviews but the reviews have no complaints about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-O-Matic  /t/1520650/turtle-beach-px4-vs-skullcandy-plyr1-vs-omega-wireless-creative-recon-3d#post_24430389

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question, but this seems like the busiest forum in the gaming sections (and the one where all PX4 owners hang out), so...

I do most of my gaming/TV watching/listening to music, in the living room, at night, when I can't turn up my speakers and fully enjoy the audio. So I decided to go and get myself a headset. Now, because of the layout of my living room, I MUST get a wireless headest.

What I'm looking for is:

a. Versatile connectivity - like say an optical cable that can connect to the PS, Xbox, TV, streamer, HTPC and everything else

b. Good wireless capabilities - as little interruptions as possible

c. Good sound quality - I'm not really an audiophile, but I can appreciate a good sound quality and cheap headphones hurt my ears. I benchmark here is my old wired GameCom 777 headset, which IMO sound superb! I don't really care about surround though - never heard of REALLY good surround headphones.

BTW, I must mention that I don't care at all about live chat! I almost never use it.

I've done some research and have narrowed it down to 4 final candidates that, according to the interweb, fit my needs and my budget:

1. Turtle Beach PX4 - seem to have gotten mostly positive reviews, bust most of the reviews and the users' feedback seem to revolve around PS4 live chat comparability (which I don't care about) whereas the sound quality is usually mentioned as "good enough".

2. Skullcandy PLYR 1 - very positive reviews praising both their sound quality and the stability of the wireless. Seems like quality build and comes with a charging stand. My only concern is that, being Skullcandy, they might be a bit bass-y.(?)

3. Omega Wireless Headset with a Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D - very obscure, very few reviews - but the few reviews that exist are mostly positive. Fully configurable with through a software, THX standard, 50mm drivers. My concern is connectivity - it says it connects to PC, PS3, Xbox360 and PS4, but it will probably not work with a streamer or TV and you can't input from a receiver.

4. TRITTON WARHEAD 7.1 - I've never really considered it until 5 minutes ago, when I saw it's price has been cut to $148 on Amazon. It's a high end headset, but I know a lot of people hate Tritton.

So, I'd like to hear advice from people who had hands on experiences with any or all of these headsets.

Get an AVR with built-in Dolby Headphone, and a quality pair of headphones. Every problem solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10mike  /t/1520650/turtle-beach-px4-vs-skullcandy-plyr1-vs-omega-wireless-creative-recon-3d#post_24431868

Get an AVR with built-in Dolby Headphone, and a quality pair of headphones. Every problem solved.

So let me get this straight - I'm asking about an advise for $150 wireless head set and you offer me to buy a new AVR with wired headphones?

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The PC360s w/ 5.8 Mixamp are certainly viable, but the lack of firmware updates for the 5.8 are bothersome. I know it could sound better, and it never will on this platform.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I bought the px4 yesterday and they'll be going back I can't get them to work ....the only way they'll work is through the chat cable and they buzz like crazy ....I unplug the chat cable thinking I'll get just sound and I don't just buzzing......and there's no instructions , I'm sure I have to sync the headphones with receiver I just don't know how

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after a lot of contemplation, I decided in favor of the Skullcandy. However, on Amazon, where the black model is now on a sale, it's out of stock.

So in the meanwhile, I started to consider Sennheiser SR160. Sure there's no mic (which I don't really need) and the only connection is a 3.5mm but it's Sennheiser so you now the sound would be top notch.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If it helps at all, here's my journey that led me eventually to the Skullcandy PLYR 1

I just wanted something better than the Blutooth earpiece I had been using.

A friend had been using the original Sony wireless headphones which he let be borrow. I wasn't too impressed, but it was a step in the right direction. I found a good deal on the Sony Pulse headphones and bought them feeling they would be a step up from the other Sony headphones. They definitely had better build quality, but the virtual surround sound was a joke, as was the "pulse" gimmick. They did a decent job as a wireless stereo headset though.

I'm a big fan of Monoprice, and their wired 7.1 gaming headset got good reviews, so I gave them a try. These sounded on par with the Sony as stereo headphones, but totally blew them away with their dolby digital 7.1 surround. The Sony headphones went back. I lived with the Monoprice headphones for about a year, they did a great job with directional sounds on games, and the mic worked great. They do have a couple flaws though. They introduce a good deal of hiss when using the amplifier, and there's a loud popping sound when switching the mic on/off. Very loud. And then there's the always present cord. Monoprice sent me a replacement, claiming the hissing and popping was a defect, but the replacements were exactly the same, so I got a refund and sent them back.

Now I have the Skullcandy PLYR 1. I have these hooked up simultaneously to my PS3 and PS4 through a USB hub and optical switch. The entire method of hooking up the USB and optical to the back side of the headphone stand is much better than the box that came with the Monoprice headphones that had a mess of wires coming from three sides. In my limited experience, the sound quality seems to be on par with the Monoprice. For my taste, they are a little on the bass heavy side, even in the flat equalizer position. The range is excellent, in fact I can go anywhere in my house. Never a dropout. The 7.1 sound is very good. For gaming, or movies, I would personally never want a stereo only headset. I have very little experience with chat on these, since I've been playing single player Assassins Creed on PS4.

That's my $.01 and about all it's worth.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots  /t/1520650/turtle-beach-px4-vs-skullcandy-plyr1-vs-omega-wireless-creative-recon-3d#post_24446358

If it helps at all, here's my journey that led me eventually to the Skullcandy PLYR 1

I just wanted something better than the Blutooth earpiece I had been using.

A friend had been using the original Sony wireless headphones which he let be borrow. I wasn't too impressed, but it was a step in the right direction. I found a good deal on the Sony Pulse headphones and bought them feeling they would be a step up from the other Sony headphones. They definitely had better build quality, but the virtual surround sound was a joke, as was the "pulse" gimmick. They did a decent job as a wireless stereo headset though.

I'm a big fan of Monoprice, and their wired 7.1 gaming headset got good reviews, so I gave them a try. These sounded on par with the Sony as stereo headphones, but totally blew them away with their dolby digital 7.1 surround. The Sony headphones went back. I lived with the Monoprice headphones for about a year, they did a great job with directional sounds on games, and the mic worked great. They do have a couple flaws though. They introduce a good deal of hiss when using the amplifier, and there's a loud popping sound when switching the mic on/off. Very loud. And then there's the always present cord. Monoprice sent me a replacement, claiming the hissing and popping was a defect, but the replacements were exactly the same, so I got a refund and sent them back.

Now I have the Skullcandy PLYR 1. I have these hooked up simultaneously to my PS3 and PS4 through a USB hub and optical switch. The entire method of hooking up the USB and optical to the back side of the headphone stand is much better than the box that came with the Monoprice headphones that had a mess of wires coming from three sides. In my limited experience, the sound quality seems to be on par with the Monoprice. For my taste, they are a little on the bass heavy side, even in the flat equalizer position. The range is excellent, in fact I can go anywhere in my house. Never a dropout. The 7.1 sound is very good. For gaming, or movies, I would personally never want a stereo only headset. I have very little experience with chat on these, since I've been playing single player Assassins Creed on PS4.

That's my $.01 and about all it's worth.

Hello,

I'm about the order Skullcandy PLYR1 today.

I plan to use it with PS4, PS3 and Xbox360. I don't have it yet but probably with Xbox One in the future.

For PS4 Voice Chat during the games are really important for me. I hear many people using PLYR1 who say that it works perfect with PS4. However there are also some problems written about Voice chat is not possible or healty for PS4. I thiBlutooth, I'm not sure if this is the reason of the problem.

So, I just can't get sure about this headset.

So, I need any type of information about this issue. It would be enough for me even if i knew, it will support in the future with PS new firmware, or Skullcandy's new firmware.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts