AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only after purchasing my Sony STR-DA4ES eight months ago did I realize I was in over my head. At the rate I'm going, it will take me two years to fully understand the numerous functions and terminology thrown at me by Sony's poor excuse for a manual, not to mention the ridiculous supplied remote. I need someone who actually owns one of these(not the 7ES) and can patiently answer questions such as: What is a 12V TRIG mode? How do I get audio out to 2nd Room? Audio split? Assigning Audio Input? IR Repeater? In addition, I believe my remote is defective as it's behavior is erratic. I've read the manual over and over again. Anyone feeling charitable?

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have had the 4ES for just about a year, and I also have access to the service manual with it's myriad of technical information. I think that I can answer all of the questions you've asked here.

The 12 V triggers are outputs which can turn on, or trigger, an external device of some kind. Such devices may include external amplifiers, or a motorised video projection screen. In the case of the screen, you would set up the 4ES to turn on the 12V trigger when you select a video source. This would trigger the screen to descend from its hiding place in the ceiling (and possibly also turn on your projector). When you turned off the receiver or selected an audio-only source, the 12V trigger would turn off, so the screen would retract. Obviously, this is not something most people have setup in their homes, but some people do.

The Audio Split functionality is used to re-assign the digital inputs to another source. The 4ES has a total of six digital inputs: 4 optical and 2 coaxial (and there's one digital output). These inputs have been pre-assigned by Sony to the sources that Sony thinks that they'd be likely to be used with. But in your setup, you may want to use (for example) an optical input for Video 2. So you'd choose an unused optical input (ex. MD) and use Audio Split to assign it to the Video 2 source. To do this, you select Video 2, then press Audio Split, then rotate the function dial until you find the digital input that you want.

The Input Mode function is also important. This allows you to choose amoung the various audio inputs for each source. For example, the DVD source has coaxial digital, optical digital, and 2-channel analog inputs. By default the receiver will choose the input source for you. If there is a signal on the coax input, it uses that, otherwise if there is a signal on the optical input, it uses that, otherwise it uses the analog input. You can also force it to use only a certain input, such as the optical one. This would be useful if you had used Audio Split to assign the DVD Coax input to say, Video 1. You would have to use Input Mode force the receiver to use the optical input so that it would not use the coax input for the DVD source anymore.

The IR Repeater jacks are intended to be used with an IR repeater system, which is something that you might use if the Receiver was located somewhere out of sight, such as at the back of the room, or in an equipment 'closet'. Normally, an IR repeater system uses several stick-on IR emiiters which you stick onto the IR 'eye' on the front of the receiver and other devices. The IR IN jack lets you connect the receiver directly to the IR repeater system instead. And the IR OUT jacks are simply connected directly to the IR IN jack, providing two additional outputs to use for other components.

The 2nd Room output can be a bit flakey, especially if you still have the old firmware on the receiver. To get it to work, you first need to switch your remote over to 2nd room mode (The 7ES came with another remote which could be used for the 2nd/3rd room). To do this, press RM Setup, scroll to and pick Command Mode, and pick 2nd Room. The remote will turn off. Now press Function, and choose a source to listen to in the 2nd room. You will probably have to turn up the volume (the volume keys now control the 2nd room volume, not main volume) quite a bit, since I think it defaults to minimum. You can turn off 2nd room by pressing |/O. Note that when you want to use the remote to control the main room again, you will have to choose AV1 or AV2 command mode, to match the receiver's command mode (it defaults to AV2, but you can check it in the receiver's Customize menu).

The Remote sucks. What more can I say. What specific behavior makes you think that yours is defective?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. This could get lengthly, so if it would be better to use private messaging, just say so. I really didn't elaborate too much with my initial post as to my specific questions. So let me tackle the first topic first. The word 'trigger' is not even listed in the index. The only info is located on page 57. There is no mention of exactly what is plugged in to the two outputs labeled Trigger/out/main room and 2nd room. It appears to be the size of a mini plug. Maybe IR. How does the receiver send a command to an external device, let's say a projector screen, or even better, a TV in my 2nd room? What am I missing here? What gets plugged in the back of the 4ES to turn on my second room device?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
What gets plugged in the back of the 4ES to turn on my second room device?
Generally speaking, the 12 V triggers are used with devices having a 12 V trigger input.

The 12 V trigger output is a mono 1/8" minijack, like a headphone jack, but mono rather than stereo (two metal bands not three). The reason it is called a 12 V trigger is because when it is active, it outputs 12 Volts DC, and when it is not active, it does not. There is no "signal" per se, it is just on or off. The "tip" is positive (+) and the "ring" is negative (- or Ground).

There are two triggers: Main and 2nd room. The main one can be configured to be off, on (i.e. on whenever the receiver is on ... you use this with an amplifier), or "source", where you can choose which sources will turn on the trigger. For example. you may use your projector only for watching DVDs, so you'd configure the trigger to turn on only when you select DVD/LD. The 2nd room trigger can be off, on (i.e. on when 2nd room is active), or "main" (on when the receiver is turned on).

The IR IN & OUT jacks are also 1/8" mono minijacks, also tip:+ and ring:-. They are compatible with standard IR repeater systems which use this type of plug. The input should be a modulated IR signal, which is what standard IR repeater systems output. I have a set of X10 "Pyramid" wireless IR repeaters which were also available from radio shack. They have a minijack on the back in addition to the built-in IR blaster up front. Simply connecting this to the IR IN jack worked fine.

Many Sony components have jacks for Control-A1 (audio gear) or Control-S (video gear), collectively callled "S-Link". They usually come with an S-link cord, which has a 1/8" minijack on each end. This is what I used to connect the IR pyramid to my 4ES.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In summary of the 12V trigger subject, if I don't have additional equipment that has a 12V trigger input, then this output on my 4ES has no other use.(Yes or No?) (You did use the word 'Generally').

Assuming the answer is Yes, I'll move on.

You are getting ahead of me a bit, but that's okay. Let me fill you in on my gear and current connections in use. You might want to sketch this configuration as it needs improvement.There are no S-VIDEO or COMPONENT VIDEO jacks in use so the following connections are all composite. My TV is a 1981 50 inch Hitachi with 1 line input (Monitor Video out on 4ES) and 1 coaxial cable input. It will be replaced only when it goes kaput, as it's picture is still terrific. I have two analog VCRs. VCR I has S-Video jacks but uses VIDEO 1 Audio & Video out only. VCR II has composite jacks only. It uses VIDEO 2 A/V out and Audio in. The VIDEO 2 video input is used by a closed caption decoder. Turntable (PHONO in), cassette deck(TAPE in/out), and CABLE TV box (TV/SAT A/V in). The Sony DVP-NS755V DVD player plays SACDs, DVD and CDs. It uses DVD/LD Audio/Video in, Multichannel IN 2, and DVD Optical in. I also have a Rabbit connected to VCR II, and a Wavecom Sr. (not in use yet) that have IR extenders. VCR I's output goes to VCRII's front jacks to enable viewing either one from the bedroom.

AUDIO SPLIT-knowing my setup now, would I have any use for this function? Reassign an optical input for my analog VCR II? Do I have any situations that would benefit from AUDIO SPLIT?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.