AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking at the tv to purchase for my basement. If we take the viewing distance of 10-15 feet with some angle viewing what would be better option flat or curved tv.
Also I know there aren't much 4k content out there right now and not sure what the future will look like with 4k content but what is better to but 4k or not? Any advice pros or con.

I am also torn betwen sony and samsung. If sony doesnt have that unappealing vedge design i would just be considering sony but I went few times to best buy store and that vedge design doesn't really look slim at all..

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I am still looking at the tv to purchase for my basement. If we take the viewing distance of 10-15 feet with some angle viewing what would be better option flat or curved tv.
Also I know there aren't much 4k content out there right now and not sure what the future will look like with 4k content but what is better to but 4k or not? Any advice pros or con.

I am also torn betwen sony and samsung. If sony doesnt have that unappealing vedge design i would just be considering sony but I went few times to best buy store and that vedge design doesn't really look slim at all..

Any info would be appreciated.
At 10-15 feet seating distance , I would be looking to get the biggest panel you can afford. As for viewing angles an IPS panel will give you better angle viewing angles. Unfortunately the downside is the blacks won't be as good as a VA panel.

At this point and time you might as well go for 4K, since 4K Bluray is coming by end of the year and 1080p sets are fasing out slowly. Although will not be obsolete, as all current cable/sat content is still 720p/1080i. The new Sony 2015 are super slim but are not out yet. If you have time to wait a bit, I would check them out. If you don't the new 2015 Samsung JS flat sets are now available and have been getting positive reviews. Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes actually i have time to wait. I heard end of april some new models are coming up. I wasnt aware that 2015 sony will be slim. I figured that this vedge design in new thing. Are those super slim sony will be super expensive?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
When do you think 2015 models will be in canadian best buy stores?
May-June . The new processor chip in the Sony's look very promising.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Do you know what the difference between these 2 models.....
XBRxxX850C

and
XBRxxX900C

From hdguru explanation i don't see much difference but only in price...
The 900C is the new ultra-slim design, the 850C is a bit thicker. The 850C is full-array LED, the 900C is edge-lit. Neither offer local dimming though.

If you want the best picture on a Sony set you'd want to look at the 940C (full-array with local dimming) or at least the 930C (edge-lit with local dimming). Those both have the wedge cabinets, but what's more important, how the TV looks out the outside, or the picture it puts on the screen?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 900C is the new ultra-slim design, the 850C is a bit thicker. The 850C is full-array LED, the 900C is edge-lit. Neither offer local dimming though.

If you want the best picture on a Sony set you'd want to look at the 940C (full-array with local dimming) or at least the 930C (edge-lit with local dimming). Those both have the wedge cabinets, but what's more important, how the TV looks out the outside, or the picture it puts on the screen?
output is more important but that wedge design is such a bad design..looks like TV from 10 years ago...

·
Registered
17,446 Posts

850c is direct lit, which is very different from full array.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Picture is definitely the most important factor although price contributes to the final decision.

output is more important but that wedge design is such a bad design..looks like TV from 10 years ago...
maybe this can help you.

http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony-lcd-tv/sony-lcd.html

850c is direct lit, which is very different from full array.
This is correct, it's not Full array.

Reactions: chuckf1

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Picture is definitely the most important factor although price contributes to the final decision.

maybe this can help you.

http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony-lcd-tv/sony-lcd.html

This is correct, it's not Full array.
There's a mistake in that chart, the 930C isn't the same as the 900C with speakers - the 930C has the speakers plus local dimming, the 900C doesn't have local dimming.

I wasn't aware there was a difference between direct lit and full array backlights, but looking it up it looks like there could be, depending on who is describing it. Some use them synonymously, others restrict 'direct lit' to mean that there are fewer LEDs behind the screen than a traditional full-array setup.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I was once like you about the speakers, I had so many reasons to not like the speakers and thought they were unnecessary. So I got the X850b but after a month exchanged it for X900b and it changed my mind about the side speakers.

First, let me say the X850b was a step back from my 5 years old HX909 in PQ. The x900b is better than the x850b but still not as good as my hx909 in PQ. As for the speakers they sound way better then any flat screen I've ever had. How may times have you seen people give low score for a flat screen sound quality? With the speakers, almost can't tell the difference between then and the sound system. I can switch between TV speakers and sound system we everyone is sleeping. Also after awhile you will not notice the speakers.

I'm now a believer in the side speakers and at least I don't have but sound bar if I didn't have a sound system.

PS, I plan to get the x940c just for the PQ and maybe sell or demote my x900b.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As for the curved vs flat question, I think that curved screens only make sense if there is normally just one person watching, who can sit centered with the screen. If you want to have good viewing for multiple people, all of whom can't be in the center (or even for multiple sitting or lying down positions for one person), then a flat screen will be better. Having a wide viewing area was important to me, which also led me to a set with an IPS panel, which have good color consistency at relatively wide side-angles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.