AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife and I are having a new house built and Im thinking of buying a plasma or lcd flat panel TV to go above the fireplace. But I have a couple concerns about this:

1. First, is there typically enough space behind the sheetrock above the fireplace to run cables for the tv including a power cord of some kind?

2. How high is too high for the TV to be mounted? I dont want to install it to find out that watching TV is a "pain" in the neck.

I appreciate everyone's response. Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I prefer the center of the screen at about eye level.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
We have several clients with installs above fireplaces and they are happy with them. Personally, I think it is too high to be comfortable. You need to look at one installed that way and decide for yourself if it is important to have it lower.

As for the wiring, it depends. Some are easy some not.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
There's plenty of room if planned. Your plasma won't be so high if your hearth is flush with the floor. Depending on wood burning or gas, distances from flamables are determined by National Fire Protection Agency Code 211. Most States have adopted them. This has been addressed in other threads, maybe a search will provide pics to help you decide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hearth wont be flush with the floor unfortunetly. Wife and I are starting to think that the tv would be mounted to high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think its ergonomically a bad idea. The angle of viewing is high and places unnecessary stress on your cervical spine. Depending on your viewing habits potentially for hours. There is a reason air traffic controllers have their monitors below eye level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it also depends on how far away you'll be sitting from the TV. If it's a far enough distance away, you won't notice the angle of the view quite so much. So depending on the size of your TV, there's an optimal viewing distance. At 12 feet away, maybe having the tv up a little higher won't be so noticable. At least that is what I'm hoping as I'm planning on doing the same thing. However, my hearth will almost be flush with the floor, so my tv won't be as high.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have our plasma over our gas fireplace which is rarely used. Since our hearth is flush with the floor the TV is pretty much at eye level. we used to have an older TV that was about 2 ft higher and it was kind of annoying to watch.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlersix /forum/post/0

I think it also depends on how far away you'll be sitting from the TV. If it's a far enough distance away, you won't notice the angle of the view quite so much. So depending on the size of your TV, there's an optimal viewing distance. At 12 feet away, maybe having the tv up a little higher won't be so noticable. At least that is what I'm hoping as I'm planning on doing the same thing. However, my hearth will almost be flush with the floor, so my tv won't be as high.

Exactly. My eyes are 11 feet away and the angle is fine. I fought my wife on the placement for a while as I was afraid of being uncomfortable when watching. We hung some newspaper where the tv would go and I gave in. I'm glad I did as it is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 50 in plasma above our fireplace in our family room and we love it. It is a bit high, but we're not very close to the screen. It's great to keep just one focal point in the room when you design the furniture layout. It's also nice to watch the TV while there fire is a fire going. Also, we mounted in at a 5 degree downward tilt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend213 /forum/post/0

sorry for hijacking the thread but what about a electronic projector screen about 2 feet away form a fireplace(going over the front)?

I have a few buddies with projectors and Im not too fond of them in a living room setting. I dont think they're bright enough with the normal light coming into the living room from windows and such.

Vaca, thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing.

Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.