AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a month ago i posted something about the house being built, and the builder wanted me to charge around $2000 usd... well after a lot of talking he is going to give me 4 days to wire what ever i want after we do the pre wall meeting. so now i have to plan this thing to go and install it.

It is decided i heard the speakercraft speakers and i liked how they sound. i also like their in wall solutions.

so i am going to go with a 5.1 setup because i will put my couch againts the wall
L& R

C

for rears rears will go on the corners on the cealing aim to the couch.

for installation i plan to use this

Cable i will go with AWG 12 from monoprice i will use plates and low voltage boxes....

I made a scketch with dimmensions could you plese verify i am doing things right? does that sounds normal?

is there a problem if the wall i am installed is a wall that goes to the outside? will there be problem with insulation ? could the insulation catch on fire if something happens to the speaker?

is there anything else i am missing?

here are the files.

tv speakers setup.pdf 29k .pdf file

house wiring media room and other things 2.pdf 278k .pdf file

Attachments

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
No matter if you install in-wall speakers on an exterior wall or interior wall, you want to have them in their back boxes.

The wall insulation will just be squashed between the outside of the wall and the back box.

4 ft from main L/R speakers to walls are good, but I would move them a bit closer to the screen.

I had the same width room with a 65" screen and had the speakers spread 8 ft, leaving almost 5 ft to the walls.

The result was a beautiful soundstage. If the mains are too far away from the sides of the screen it can be irritating with action scenes going across the screen. So I would cut down the 1.79 ft dimension to about 1/2.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD  /t/1472615/tv-and-speakers-in-wall-setup#post_23319803

No matter if you install in-wall speakers on an exterior wall or interior wall, you want to have them in their back boxes.

The wall insulation will just be squashed between the outside of the wall and the back box.

4 ft from main L/R speakers to walls are good, but I would move them a bit closer to the screen.

I had the same width room with a 65" screen and had the speakers spread 8 ft, leaving almost 5 ft to the walls.

The result was a beautiful soundstage. If the mains are too far away from the sides of the screen it can be irritating with action scenes going across the screen. So I would cut down the 1.79 ft dimension to about 1/2.

cool..thanks for the advise.. what do you mean by back box?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You mount the speakers in a sealed box, and then mount that box in the wall, so the wall cavity is acoustically isolated.

When setting up an HT with screen on the long dimension, there's a temptation to space speakers evenly. Don't. Keep the LCR focus on the screen, and if you'd like to "stretch" the sound field, consider adding front wide speakers near the corners.

You have to decide quick, though!

HAve fun,

Frank

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov  /t/1472615/tv-and-speakers-in-wall-setup#post_23324099

Yep! it's got depth that just fits a 2x4 stud, and a width that fits 2x4's on 16" centers.

•Dimensions: (H x W x D) 14 3/8" x 12" x 3 1/2"

nice.. do you own one of this?

so i guess i am on the right track...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts