AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but I'm new to this stuff & need some help here.

I'm trying to use my TV as a center channel but my reciever only gives the option of suround or TV not both together. Is there any way around this?

I know you may say "just get a center channel speaker" , but my space just doesnt allow the room.

Anyway heres my setup: Sony KDS-50A2000]-HDMI-[Denon 1908]-HDMI-[PS3

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You far better off here not using a center.

Just tell the AVR / Processor you don't have one and it will create a quite effective center channel using the L/R channels. It's in the spec even.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But my TV has pretty good sound (as far as TVs go), so I think it could only add to the audio quality. Thanks though John, but I'm still looking for a work around to this. Anyone?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Of course you are free to do whatever you want but unless your left/right speakers are complete crap I don't see how the TV speakers could possibly compare or match up to the sound.

Not really a good way to do what you are wanting to do because what you are wanting to do is not a good option and therfore manufacturers don't include it as an option because most people wouldn't want to do it anyways.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just so you don't think I am being a complete a$$ and blowing you off....

You might be able to do this if your TV and receiver has analog audio in and the PS3 has analog out. You are not going to be able to do this over digital cables. I don't believe your equiment you listed has the appropriate inputs/outputs to do this so in your case so I don't think it can be done. If you upgraded everything to components that had all the right connections and ran all the audio as analog and used some splitters to send Left/Right information to both the TV and the receiver you might get it done. It would look like an electrical substation and probably sound terrible but it would indeed have sound coming out of the TV.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Habit /forum/post/12903770

Sorry but I'm new to this stuff & need some help here.

I'm trying to use my TV as a center channel but my reciever only gives the option of suround or TV not both together. Is there any way around this?

I know you may say "just get a center channel speaker" , but my space just doesnt allow the room.

Anyway heres my setup: Sony KDS-50A2000]-HDMI-[Denon 1908]-HDMI-[PS3

Any ideas?

Just being real here but the no room for a center channel thing is a crock. If you have room, for the other components you have mentioned you can make room for a center channel speaker. Smaller center speakers can be hung from a cealing and or mounted to a wall, vecro'd and or super glued to the top of a TV. It can be above, below or beside the tv depending on where your mains are located, be creative and use your imagination. Placement does not have to be perfect, this is not a perfect world, the suggestions from this forum or any other are just that. What sounds good is what soungs good to YOU!

Many top name speaker manufactured make really great sounding and really small systems, it just a matter of money.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The best part here?

Have you tried the phantom center? If not? give it a shot, it works pretty darn well and you may not feel the need.

I run this way in my living room these days. Works better than expected for me. My more audiophile friends agree as well.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
While there's nothing technically from using your TV as a center channel, I would add my strong recommendation that you don't do it. Many years ago, before center speakers were widely available, I tried it with some AR tower speakers as left/rights and it sounded pretty awful.

Unless you are incredibly lucky, theres not much chance those TV speakers are going to blend in with your L/R speakers (regardless of brand) and provide a seamless and convincing front soundstage. As a temporary solution, sure, but you will probably end up buying a center speaker.

Either follow JOHNnDENVER's advice and use phantom center until you can accommodate a center speaker or shop for a center from the mfg of your left & right speakers. It's important to match, as closely as possible, the timbre and sound characteristics of your speakers and the front 3 are the most important. Your Denon may have some basic room EQ adjustments in its calibration setup that can help but that can only grossly approximate what you will get with 3 "matched" speakers.

Good luck! Try both & see for yourself which is OK to your ears and go from there. My bet is you'll prefer a phantom center over the TV speakers

If u are seeking connection help to try your TV, run a cable out of your receiver's center channel output with a Y-splitter and connect the Y-splitter to the TV's audio inputs at the rear. Make sure you use the same audio inputs corresponding to the ones your receiver or player video input is using and you're set. If you want to use the TV's analog audio inputs along with HDMI video input, consult your owner's manual to see how to do that. Standard Dolby/dts surround or THX will send the center channel to your TV then.

ss9001

1 - 9 of 9 Posts