AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be helping my parents out with setting up their A/V gear, but have a question:

They have both an HDTV and an "audio bar" speaker. The TV has three HDMI inputs, while the speaker has only two optical inputs. am I able to route all of the audio through the TV (on the HDMI connections), and then use the TV's "Digital Audio Out" to connect to the speaker, effectively using the TV as an audio receiver?

The models in question:

Samsung HW-C450 (speaker)

Toshiba 52XV-645U (HDTV)

Samsung BD-P1500 (Blu-ray player)

Motorola DCT-6416 (DVR)

Apple TV (media streamer)

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I believe you'll get sound but unless things have changed, most TVs will convert any type of surround or multichannel signal from auxiliary inputs to plain old stereo output from the digital out. Dunno if that works fine for the soundbar or not without knowing what type of signal it expects to do its thing.

Again, I think you'll get sound, but whether or not it would be the best sound the system is capable of I don't know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/19613019

most TVs will convert any type of surround or multichannel signal from auxiliary inputs to plain old stereo output from the digital out

The manual for the TV indicates that you can select the format for the Digital Audio Output to "Auto" or "PCM". Quoting from the manual:
Auto: this mode outputs Dolby Digital or PCM to the digital audio output socket providing it is being broadcast.
Can I take this to mean that the TV will maintain the surround signal instead of downmixing it to stereo?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Probably not. Since it mentions "broadcast" my opinion is that it's giving you the option of PCM or Dolby Digital or Auto select from the TV's internal tuner, not the auxiliary inputs.

On most TVs the internal tuner will send Dolby Digital from the digital output, but the auxiliary inputs are down-converted from surround/bitstream to 2-ch PCM for pass through from the digital output.

In some cases it's not entirely clear and you just have to try it...unless someone with the same or similar TV chimes in. Most down-convert aux inputs though, afaik.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I'm fine with the downmixing. I highly doubt that my folks can tell the difference anyhow (these are people who can't see the difference between HD and SD!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts