AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody knows of the best video card that I should use if I wanted to use a tv as my sole monitor. The computer is going to be in the living room and I would rather not have a computer monitor visible. I don't mind using a monitor to set the machine up; I want the computer to boot the display to the tv every time it starts up. I will probably used s-video to a 32" or 36" tube. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
unless the tv is hd the regular tv won't have the resolution for you to clearly read text via the s-video, it will be very fuzzy. You will need a tv capable of hd resolutions and use vga or a vga to component adapter.

if you do get an hd tv then an ati 7500 is good enough if the tv has a vga input. If the tv has a component in only, then you have to go with an all in wonder with the hd component adapter.

dave

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
radeon of some sort (I use the 7xxx series). I have 2 pc's that solely use tv's as their displays. Both use some flavor of radeon (onboard radeon7000, and an agp 7500 in the other).

These pc's are for divx playback and dscaler video resizing of dvd (anamorphic -> 4:3) for playback through my video distribution system.

The radeons give you the best control of overscan, colors, synch, etc out of all the tv-out cards I tried.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a motherboard (built in video card) that outputs to s-video

I have my display output resolution set to 720X480 and it works the best. It seems that other resolutions will resize the image to 720X480 yielding blurry scaled text.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have an ATI 9700 PRO display card. It has a 15-contact VGA connector as well as a DVI connector. I just ordered from ATI a DVI-TO-Component adaptor and I am using it to send 1920 X 1080i to my RCA 38310 HDTV. I use this arrangement to playback Japanese HD recordings qwhich use the AAC audio system can I can only decode with a Fusion HD card. This card is an ATSC tuner card that relies on the CPU of the PC to decode the HD stream. It is different than other HD-tuner cards that do the decoding with their own hardware and have a direct component output to an HDTV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I am thinking about going with the AIW 7500 just because its cheap and comes with a remote. This is an extra computer so it doesnt have to functioin as anything but a movie player. Does the radeon output a fullscreen signal? My nvidia tv-out signal does not cover the whole screen. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
gu5tav0:

the radeon can be configured to output fullscreen (no overscan)...you might have to go into the advanced properties (install the radeon controlpanel) to fine tune it to your set.

I was never able to completely eliminate overscane (the black bars on all sides) when using a geforce...

Rich

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've used a Radeon 7000 some with TV-out. Set Windows to use large fonts, and while still a little blurry, it's quite usable. Over-scan is not available at 1024x768 resolution, but is at 800x600 or lower. I had to install Radeon Tweaker to enable the over-scan switch on the control panel.

I use 1024x768 for desktop setup as stuff, then switch to 800x600 with over-scan to watch movies.

Also have a question. When in over-scan mode, I can't seem to adjust the picture position on screen. The left/right/up/down keys in the control panel won't do anything with over-scan on. And everything, desktop and video overlay are shifted toward the bottom. Does anyone know how to adjust position when in over-scan mode? Is there a different Radeon tweaker package that will address this issue?

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
gu5tav0,

If you think you might upgrade to HD in the near the future, I'd consider going with at least a Radeon 8500. There are some indications that the newer ATI cards may be more compatible with HDCP (high bandwidth digital content protection) material. They would also give you the option of using ATI's YPbPr dongle to connect to an HDTV, and the DVI-I port (as opposed to DVI-D) should have the widest range of compatibility with future DVI devices. More on this here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.