AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that both my EyeTV 500 and the new Hybrid ATSC tuners don't get nearly as many channels as the ATSC tuner on my TV (A vizio 47" LCD), using the same antenna connection (split between the three). The TV tunes far more channels and has very little difficulty locking on to signals that the two EyeTV tuners can't find. I'm wondering if this is normal, or bad usb tuners in general, or the vizio just has an excellent tuner. It makes recording difficult when the recorders don't see the channel I'm watching!

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
The term "Hybrid ATSC tuners", exactly what is considered a "Hybrid" tuner? Any analog & digital tuner?

The six digital tuners I had or have ( one STB,5 TVs'), sensitivity of all of them was fairly equal. The exception was a older HD tuner card for the PC. Sensitivity was terrible compared with these internal tuners.

The big difference is how thery handle ID'ing the channels, especially on cable.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
USB is a connection, not a tuner. If the stations in question are digital, all the tuners are ATSC tuners. It depends on which generation tuner is in the device.

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf /forum/post/0

USB is a connection, not a tuner. If the stations in question are digital, all the tuners are ATSC tuners. It depends on which generation tuner is in the device.

ATSC tuners are being sold as a USB stick that plugs into the USB port of a computer and puts the video signal on the computer monitors. Thes devices are very small and typically are less sensitive than other types of ATSC tuners. They are often called "USB Tuners"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.