AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember watching [back in 2008] a press conference from Pioneer saying how excited they were about their goal to "release a TV that has no bezel whatsoever" (among other things).

The first thought that comes to my mind about a TV lacking a bezel is how it might be prone to physical damage, or excessive fingerprints/man-handling during a move. But then I think again, and realize how freaking cool a TV will look without a bezel!

I'm wondering what the AVS community thinks about today's TVs still having huge bezels, and how sad it is that Pioneer bit the dust

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I like the bezels. It gives you flexibility when putting the TV in a cabinet. The cabinet opening does not have to be sized exactly to the width and height of the TV. The newest TV's with the thinner bezels offer less flexibility.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Buy a Samsung D8000. It's pretty close. The shininess sucks, but I think some matte black paint solves that problem well enough.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
a tv without a bezel isnt good. bezels are necessary to put a "contrast" between image and the room and must be dark (better if is black).

sure we dont need to have very large bezels...2cm in every side is perfect.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_sousa
a tv without a bezel isnt good. bezels are necessary to put a "contrast" between image and the room and must be dark (better if is black).

sure we dont need to have very large bezels...2cm in every side is perfect.
I think if you're going to have a bezel on the screen, it has to be well designed and proportioned. Sony got it right last year with their monolithic design TVs, shrinking it on this year's models looks awkward.

However, check the lower screen here at 2:15 onwards.

I would say that not having a bezel makes the image pop out more.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
It's gonna happen at some point.

I'd like a TV that looks like a piece of translucent glass when off, maybe with some optional light background "art" on it, but converts to a TV when powered.

Don't ask me how the backlit works. If I knew I'd sell the idea!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I don't mind a very thin bezel (like the Samsung D8000's).

Having said that, an alternate idea would be for the TV industry to develop TVs with removable bezels and adopt a universal standard connection type (screw-in, slide-in, snap-en, whatever - similar to how VESA mounts are standardized) where you could install your own custom bezel, like getting a custom frame for prints/artwork.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts