AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a fairly small room(12x18), with a 47" widescreen display - (panasonic) my front speakers are NHT 1.2's, they have an 8inch side fire sub in each speaker. . the problem is i cant get my speakers far away from my tv - about 9 inches on each side - the picture bounces when i turn the system up, which really sucks for action movies

I am wondering if some sort of special fabric under the tv, or special spikes for the speakers?!

any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Don't have speakers that fire at your TV? :)

Honestly, the way to stop this would also coincide with killing your bass...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to the forum jay (from an old Unix guy no less). You may have more luck posting this over in the Audio and Hi Fi forum.

I've got my speakers, subwoofer and the TV stand all on high-quality spikes and so far so good.

I'd be a little concerned about throwing your TV's mechanicals out of alignment with continued vibration of that sort. Good luck developing a solution.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Do the subs fire in the same direction on both L and R speakers? If not, have you tried swapping the L and R. I am very suprised these speakers would make the picture bounce. I've had plenty more bass near my TVs and never had this problem. There may be an extreme voltage sag when the bass hits. You may want to look into voltage regulation.

Try moving the speakers as far away from the TV but in the same power outlet. This could help you determine if it is vibration or power.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
as Marc said, i would suggest swapping the speakers. my guess is that both the subs are firing towards the middle (at your tv) and the problem should go away if you swap them so the subs are firing the other way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
870 Posts
Remember F=eV xB =eVBSin[angle between V and B]. In your case, the side firing speaker has it's magnetic field B exactly perpendicular to the TV electron beam velocity V. Nice beam modulator you've got.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
John, does the radiated emag field of a speaker magnet/voice coil change when driven? If so, that is likely the problem. According the NHT's website, the 8" subwoofer is not shielded (not sure what their logic is here).

Quote:
Specifications

System Type:

3-way, vented

Drivers:

8" long throw, side loaded subwoofer (biampfliable), two 4.5"

midranges, 1" fluid cooled dome tweeter (upper drivers shielded)
So either find away to move the speakers away from the TV, disconnect the subs on these speakers (go with seperate sub), or get a different set of speakers.

(Also, have you tried firing the subs at the TV? This may seem counterintuitive but it will point the magnets away and may make a difference, although bass output may be effected.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.