AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

TV can't display anything but Windows desktop. Video card issue? (Mits WS-65313)

1257 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Servicetech571
This is my first go at setting up a HTPC, so forgive me if this is a simple problem.

I've got an old Averatec 2150 laptop laying around and wanted to convert it into a HTPC. My HDTV is a Mitsubishi WS-65313 and only displays 480i, 480p, and 1080i. The video card my laptop uses is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (full specs: http://www.tux.org/~gkwms/av2150.htm )

I've used PowerStrip and gotten the screen to a resolution that my HDTV detects (960x540p).

My problem is the screen flickers and goes black for a while whenever I try and open any windows (even if it's something simple like 'My Computer' or 'Firefox'). I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like my Video card isn't strong enough.

I just want to know if something else could be the problem, and, if it is the Video Card, what are my options.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
lul dude that's so simple... pretty nub question to ask.
Its the graphics card/chip in the laptop which can not keep up with the resolouton over 480p you have no options. There is also a problem since your TV specs state that it will not support properly report any resolutiion other then 480i, 480p, or 1080i and 960x540p is not one of those three.
What input are you using?

I have the 65513 and found the component DTV input to work the best on "1080i" 1920 x 1080. With DVI the color doesn't look as vivid and there is a slight shadow on the left side. VGA only supports 640 x 480p, text looks blurry - video OK (will work in a pinch if graphics card is weak). Keep in mind our TV's natively are 1920 x 1080 29hz through component, try to feed at that resolution if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18104098

Its the graphics card/chip in the laptop which can not keep up with the resolouton over 480p you have no options. There is also a problem since your TV specs state that it will not support properly report any resolutiion other then 480i, 480p, or 1080i and 960x540p is not one of those three.

I'm pretty sure I read that, to the TV, a 540p signal is the same as 1080i. I don't have much technical knowledge, so no idea if this is correct, though. I do have the option, using Powerstrip, to output various 1080i resolutions, but none of them seemed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18104346

What input are you using?

I have the 65513 and found the component DTV input to work the best on "1080i" 1920 x 1080. With DVI the color doesn't look as vivid and there is a slight shadow on the left side. VGA only supports 640 x 480p, text looks blurry - video OK (will work in a pinch if graphics card is weak). Keep in mind our TV's natively are 1920 x 1080 29hz through component, try to feed at that resolution if possible.

I'm using a cable that goes from VGA > Component, and I've inputted it into the DTV inputs (Using the RbY..something setting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatel304 /forum/post/18105526

I'm pretty sure I read that, to the TV, a 540p signal is the same as 1080i. I don't have much technical knowledge, so no idea if this is correct, though. I do have the option, using Powerstrip, to output various 1080i resolutions, but none of them seemed to work.

I'm using a cable that goes from VGA > Component, and I've inputted it into the DTV inputs (Using the RbY..something setting).

With the VGA to component cables are you using the 5 RGBHV or just the 3 component wires? For VGA > Component cord to work properly all 5 must be connected. The VGA to 3 wire is the most common cord, VGA to 5 is what you need. You may also need to go into the TV menu and set the input as RGBHV.

I just used the component dongle on the back of my video card, but since you are trying to do it with a laptop it probably isn't an option for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18106710

With the VGA to component cables are you using the 5 RGBHV or just the 3 component wires? For VGA > Component cord to work properly all 5 must be connected. The VGA to 3 wire is the most common cord, VGA to 5 is what you need. You may also need to go into the TV menu and set the input as RGBHV.

I just used the component dongle on the back of my video card, but since you are trying to do it with a laptop it probably isn't an option for you.

Actually, I only have 3 component wires. That's probably why my screen looks extremely red when it's hooked up. Thanks.

I could get another VGA > Component cable, but I feel like that won't fix the choppiness of the screen, correct?
The problem is the set has no H/V sync. You need the 5 wire cord for it to even think about working properly. I'm surprised your getting any viewable picture at all. I think the 65313 has the RGBHV on the DTV input, double check just to make sure.

RGBHV is same as VGA, 5 wires needed for it to work. R,G, B, are video H/V is Sync. Component video is an entirely different format the "green" is actually the full video luminance signal complete with sync. The R and B is the color information. You need a 5 wire VGA to component breakout cable to work if your TV has the RGBHV input.

See if your TV has DVI input, that may be the easiest option if your laptop has DVI.
dpatel,

1080i(also known as 1080i/60) is 1920x1080 frames which are interlaced at 60 field per second It is not the same as 540p/60. It is true that some older generation 720p TVs would use the two separate 1920x1080 fields in 1080i as two 1920x540 frames and would then rescale then to 1280x720 in order to save manufacturing video processor component costs.

As servicetech pointed out he has not trouble when sending real 1080i to the same model TV as yours.
Just to let you know, I have the same model year of this tv (WS65613) and using an HTPC ok, so, just get a better video card and you'll be good.

For how much, dunno. You might need some horsepower to do some things like HDTV
The problem is you can't upgrade laptop graphics. Laptops are great for portability but fall short for HTPC use.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.