AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a TV stand that is about 42" wide, and I'm looking at the 47LH40, which is about 45.5" wide, so the edges of the TV would extend farther than the stand itself. Has anyone done this, and does it look terrible? Should I look at the 42" version of the TV instead, which is almost exactly the same width as the stand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_humbug /forum/post/16881887


So I have a TV stand that is about 42" wide, and I'm looking at the 47LH40, which is about 45.5" wide, so the edges of the TV would extend farther than the stand itself. Has anyone done this, and does it look terrible? Should I look at the 42" version of the TV instead, which is almost exactly the same width as the stand?

My TV Over hangs my stand by just a few inches. I think it looks fine



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, thanks! It looks to me like your TV is juts about exactly the width of the stand, though; what would you think if your TV was 2" wider on each side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
Someone asked this a little while ago. If you have no kids or pets who could accidently bumb into the tv, you'd probably be ok. Overhanging tvs are more likely to move or get dislodged if someone hits them than ones completely inside the edges of the stand, because you can't hit an edge if it's not exposed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
i'm planning on getting a very narrow stand (like 36" or smaller) for a 42"-46" tv. (because of the layout of the space) it wouldn't bother me personally.


but then i'm the type that doesn't really care about how things look in terms of aesthetics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
I think you are asking for trouble if your TV overhangs your stand, especially if there's the slightest chance someone or something could bump into it. Also, I personally think it makes the whole unit look unbalanced, out of proportion, and aesthetically unpleasing. Then again, that's just my perfectionist personality coming out. You need to do what's best in your situation.


However, when I ordered my new Samsung, I bought the stand ahead of time to ensure that the width of the TV would be less than the width of the stand so that all of the planets would align and everything would be right with the world.


Vermifuge, your setup doesn't look too bad except for those awful wires. Some black nylon zip ties would work wonders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately, my TV stand won't be walked past, no kids, and only a cat for pets. Still, I think it would look unbalanced, but I'd hate to pass up the deal of paying only $100 more to go from 42"-47" because of a cheap stand. The fact that the 47" is discounted $200 more than the 42" is what makes this difficult.


I'll be making a choice one way or the other this afternoon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_humbug /forum/post/16882729


Fortunately, my TV stand won't be walked past, no kids, and only a cat for pets. Still, I think it would look unbalanced, but I'd hate to pass up the deal of paying only $100 more to go from 42"-47" because of a cheap stand. The fact that the 47" is discounted $200 more than the 42" is what makes this difficult.


I'll be making a choice one way or the other this afternoon.

I certainly don't think I'd pass up a good deal in your situation. You can always get a bigger stand later if your setup isn't so intricate that it would be a bear to change.


Good luck to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_humbug /forum/post/16882729


Fortunately, my TV stand won't be walked past, no kids, and only a cat for pets. Still, I think it would look unbalanced, but I'd hate to pass up the deal of paying only $100 more to go from 42"-47" because of a cheap stand. The fact that the 47" is discounted $200 more than the 42" is what makes this difficult.


I'll be making a choice one way or the other this afternoon.

i got the same tv this afternoon, i think you must be looking at the same deal at fry's? tv looks great (even sitting on the floor for now...) i'm amazed by how good the off-angle viewing is.


now i look for a small stand for the tv to hang off of.


as to your question, i would never trade the tv because of a stand, that just seems like putting the cart before the horse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got the 47LH40, and I'm experiencing the audio sync issue over HDMI mentioned in the thread I just bumped. I can do Xbox and cable through component, but if/ when I go Blu-Ray, I'll certainly want HDMI to work. This sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_humbug /forum/post/16882157


Hmm, thanks! It looks to me like your TV is juts about exactly the width of the stand, though; what would you think if your TV was 2" wider on each side?

It actually hangs over about 2" on each side. The camera just didn't really capture it. Bottom line.... looks fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16885276


Vermifuge... nice TV, nice stand, UGLY room! That carpet ug! U need a new house for the nice TV!

The floors are hard wood. It is going to take about 8k to have the fully restored. I plan to do it after a few other upgrades.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top