AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My TV fell off the wall that had been installed 2 months before falling - this TV was installed by a big retailers installation team.   What do you think should be the concequences? compensation?

it could have hurt my two children as it fell in the playroom and the installer missed all studs!!! they take full responsibility. 

Thank You

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
A new TV and any damages to the room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing for the inconvenience and workmen working in house loss of having tv for a week etc

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Ofc at the least they replace the TV with an equivalent new set it may have hidden damage and have a qualified drywall or other contractor repair and paint as needed then have a competent installer not (necessarily theirs either ) re install the TV and ofc have the install inspected by a qualified individual. That would be a remediation of the actual damages but beyond that because something could have happened but did not I wouldn't expect additional compensation other than maybe a good will gesture of some sort and .ofc a loaner TV to watch until repairs are done either one of theirs or a rental paid by them . Yours (if working might not be safe to use after the fall )

Most retailers set a dollar amount on liability claims that can be handled by a store manager and beyond that either use independent adjusters and pay the claim or just

submit it to their Carrier . Procedures vary by companies . I would think if the total claim was under ~ $5000.00 or so the quickest way would be file a claim at the store

and see if it can be handled locally and quickly that way . Otherwise claims get kicked up stairs and handled they usually go by corporate legal dept's also that can take longer .

If your claim is not handled locally They should send and independent adjuster out if they are self insured or otherwise if not

their liability carrier adjuster. Or alternately they could have the store manager authorize repairs and replacements and then have you sign a release when all is fixed .

TBH I don't think an attorney would be much interested in this if the store offers to correct the damages satisfactorily even at that there probably isn't enough money in it for an attorney fortunately no one was injured I would be thankful for that .

Disclaimer : I'm not an attorney but spent ~30 years in corporate and retail management and handled or assisted in lots of liability claims ranging from a few dollars to many millions.The ones with injuries and fatalities are not fun . I'm sure they will fix things. See what the Store Manager can do you might be surprised. If The Store manager does not handle it for you go up the food chain it should be handled simply fairly and quickly .

I'm sure the company wants to handle it fairly and reasonably but I wouldn't be looking for a payday that's not how these things generally work out.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG23  /t/1523664/tv-falls-off-wall#post_24513384

Nothing for the inconvenience and workmen working in house loss of having tv for a week etc

no, not unless they want to, to try and keep you as a customer.

generally speaking, something 'going wrong' isn't supposed to be beneficial. you shouldn't come out ahead from this. the 'fair' thing would be a replacement tv, fixing the wall, and doing the job properly that they were supposed to do the first time. basically they need to pay to have everything the way it was supposed to be originally. but anything beyond that, not so much. just because it 'could have' done something, doesn't mean you get extra money.

customer relations are different though, if they WANT to make you happy so you stay a customer, that's up to them. I'm just speaking in the general sense, I guess like an insurance point of view. if it were general practice that companies paid you for inconvenience, then everybody would find a way to be inconvenienced. ie, I had to return 3 TV's before I was happy, I should get a discount on that 4th one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts