AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a small digital TV (with QAM tuner) for my child's room. This child is disabled, including mental restrictions, and would find it very overwhelming to deal with a STB (or DTA), I think. Additionally, I need the ability to restrict access to certain channels. I don't have to actually lock the channels out; on the current 13" TV with built-in VCR, I simply go through and delete the channels I don't want available upstairs. My child only knows how to change channels by pressing the up or down arrow to scan through the stations on the TV, not input the actual numbers for the channel---so it doesn't have to be anything too sophisticated.

Anyway, my major concerns are reliability and cost. A simple remote, without too many buttons, would be a plus---but we can work around that issue by color-coding the buttons, if necessary. As I mentioned, this is to replace a 13" TV, so a small TV would be preferred.

What would you get if you were me?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to try bumping this up once to see if anyone might have some insight to offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
how are you receiving the TV input ? cable ? since you mentioned QAM.

You can get LCD HDTV's as small as 19", but the "sweet spot" in pricing seems to be a 32" LCD set. There is currently a premium associated with smaller LCD TV's and the jump to 32" is around $100 or so.

http://www.vizio.com/productCatalog.aspx?id=1508

If you want a CRT (tube) type TV, then Wal-Mart still sells 13" up to 19"/22" CRT sets with digital and QAM tuners.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have cable (Comcast).

Comcast has started to switch all customers to digital (I've had analog expanded basic, with no STB, for all our TVs up until now). Comcast will provide a DTA (sorry if that's not the correct term---the small box that will convert digital-to-analog signals for up to 2 TVs in addition to one STB). For now, at least, they are supposedly going to send the cable signals unencrypted---thus the desire for a QAM receiver.

My unique issue involves my disabled child, for whom I think dealing with the remote for the DTA to control the TV would be confusing. Equally or more importantly, I need to be able to control which stations are available in my child's room---not something I can do with an external box. Therefore, I want to buy a small TV that will allow me to only program certain stations for that TV (as mentioned in my previous post).

I don't think I could fit anything bigger than a 20"-22" in the room.

I looked at Target's brand the other day, but I believe I read here that they are not good TVs. I don't need excellent quality--just a decent TV that would likely be reliable.

Thanks.

---I just reread your post more carefully and ralized that you mentioned that the CRT TVs from Walmart have digital and QAM tuners---that would probably be an ideal solution for my child's room. I'll check on that, and thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another thought.... perhaps just a universall remote with simpler design (e.g. Sony RMEZ4) that you could program for whatever TV/STB you end up getting. Might be easier to find one of those which matches your requirements. Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for helping me out with this. I believe I will implement BOTH of your suggestions. I have found the CRT at Walmart and will buy that for my child's room---there is already a small armoire in which it will fit and I actually think it will work out better than an LCD. Although the LCD TVs are certainly more attractive, in this instance the CRT is an ideal solution.

I also think the idea of getting a universal remote is excellent---that way, no matter what changes may come in the future (for instance, right now the expanded basic is supposed to be unencrypted, but if Comcast manages to get permission to encrypt those later, then I will still need a DTA or STB for the TV.

I will do a search on remotes, but if you have any suggestions for a VERY simple remote (the less buttons the better), I'd be happy to hear it. I assume the universal remote should be able to to turn on the TV, adjust the volume, and change channels?

Again, I am very grateful for your taking the time to respond to my post---it was a big help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With quick searching, that Sony remote was about the simplest one that still could control Satellite/STB/etc... There were simpler ones but they only worked with cable-ready TV's. I bet you could find a simpler one though with more research. No first hand knowledge here, just a hunch. Best of luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, thanks for the suggestions. I bought my child one of the RCA CRT televisions from Walmart, and I think it should work well. I set it up in my room first, so that I could get it set up and also make sure I know how to work it before trying to show my child. This is my first experinece with digital TV, so I have a couple questions.

First, I scanned for available channels and got >60 analog channels and >90 digital channels. I was surprised that there is no harmony between the numbering for the analog stations and the digital channels. For example, the channel numbers for the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) are not the same for digital and analog. In addition, all of the analog stations have main channels numbers plus sub-channel numbers, so that they are all expressed something like 119-54. And the stations are not grouped together in a logical order, as they mostly are on the analog station (i.e., all the ESPN stations and other sports stations together and all the cable news stations together, etc.). In order to enter the cable channel, I have to enter the first numbers (i.e., 119 in my above example), then find the right arrow key and press it, then enter the last numbers (54 in my above example)---seems rather cumbersome to me. This won't be a problem for my child, as all channels will be chosen by means of the up or down arrows.

However, it did make me wonder if this is the way the channels will continue to be numbered once the cable company shifts to entirely digital, with no analog. Right now I still have the Extended Basic Analog Cable package, and I have not switched to digital, although will have to do so in the near future. In fact, I was somewhat surprised to pick up all the digital stations now, since the mandated changeover won't happen for several more months.

Which brings me to my first question: Once the cable company's changeover to all digital is complete, will the channels change so that they can be found without having to input so many numbers (channel plus sub-channel)? When I checked online for the cable TV lineup, the numbers I have to input for stations is totally different from what lineup information. If these channels remain unencrypted and available to any TV with a QAM tuner, will I be able to tune into those channels on my TV in a simpler manner?

My second question: Switching stations when viewing digital cable takes much longer than with analog---with a waiting time of several seconds before the station comes in. Are my days of quickly channel surfing or switching between two stations over once i convert to all digital? Is the long delay in responding to a channel change the norm with digital TV?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts