AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

I have read and researched online for hours now, hoping to find a good answer to this question.

I plan to get a new TV that will be located in a relatively dark room where I sit about 3 meters from it. Present day I have Samsung UE-32D6517 which I'm very happy with, but it's simply too small.

I have no idea what the delays are on it or anything, it simply works for me(guess that tells you where I'm at...).

The TV will primarily be used for gaming(95%), whereas console gaming is the most important. I'm also a little unsure about size, but around 42" - 50" should be fine.

FYI I live in Norway and have a budget of around ~$1 800.

I would greatly appreciate any answers!

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Hey Norway, I think you're going to want to be a little bit more specific in terms of size. There is no one-catch-all brand that is good for gaming, the performance varies widely by manufacturer and size, where the panel was made, its features......sometimes even inconsistencies within the same model and size, from panel to panel can happen. It sucks but, that's the way it is.

If you are looking at 42-50 inch purely for gaming, I know the Panasonic LED LCD sets are great (I use one as a computer monitor) but this year's 2013 panels are just starting to be reviewed. Actually, if you browse the forums do a search for INPUT LAG and then you will find an ongoing thread and some websites where folks are testing the input lag on modern sets. You may find your winner in that list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.

The sizes I'm looking for is mainly 46" or 50". I'm leaning toward the Panasonic GT60, but that's plasma. I just read a review of a 2013 LED model from Panasonic, and it got 2 of 5 stars:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/panasonic-tx-l47et60-p15825/test.html#full-review

The GT60 however did HDTVTest review to only have around 20m/s input lag. That's a strong argument for me, and the brilliant picture quality.

While I wait for the GT60 to drop, I'm looking for alternatives, since not a single TV is perfect.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I live in a normal-sized apartment and use a BenQ W1070 projector, it cost me 1/2 the price of a TV for 4x the size, and has virtually no input lag for gaming. With an electric retractable screen, you'd barely even notice I had a display at all. 1800$ is easily enough for a 100 inch screen, 4 pairs of 3D glasses (if you're into that), and a projector mount.

You can make the image as big or small as you'd like. Just an idea.

*disclaimer, as a 3d programmer who makes games, video game lag is very important to me. We had so many fun parties with people over, playing 4 player split screen games is SO awesome on a huge image. I used to run the image like 125 inches, but I find actually, that 100 is a good sweet spot. I sit about three meters from the screen, with the projector mounted directly above my head over the couch. It's so....freaking....awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.