AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many posts have stated that the TV Guide EPG data is carried by the local PBS station. This is not always true, and may never be true!!!

Here's a section I copied from the WHYY (Philly's PBS station) that refers to the EPG information:

What is Guide+?

Guide+ is not a subscription service but a Television Guide feature within a VCR. A Norpak inserter (model GES3) is used at each participating commercial station for insertion of the Guide+ data. A dedicated telco line is connected to each inserter and the Guide+ data is uploaded into the inserter via the phone once a day. The data is then transmitted with television signal and received by VCRs designed to pick up Guide+ data. The price for Guide+ is built into the purchase price of participating VCRs.

Public Television stations do not transmit Guide+ data. Commercial stations on the major networks ABC, CBS, NBC, UPN and FOX contract with Gem Star for carriage of the Guide+ data.

So it appears, at least in the Philly area, that the PBS station does not transmit the EPG data, and from the statement it appears that this might be true everywhere.

RG

·
Registered
742 Posts
That may be true for TV Guide (Gemstar) data, but PBS stations do carry NDI data and NDI carries a competing EPG. Google for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in Lubbock, Texas and our PBS station does transmit the EPG data. Here's an email response I got from the station engineer:

Ron KTXT does infact broadcast the Gem star Guide, and we broadcast 24/7 as of July 1st 05 . I can only suggest that you make sure your DVD does have the feature to receive the Gem star Guide Plus.

Martin Quintero

Chief Engineer

KTXT-TV

Texas Tech University

After the 6th day from initial setup, my TVGOS has been fully populated and has updated every day since.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pioneer
I live in Lubbock, Texas and our PBS station does transmit the EPG data. Here's an email response I got from the station engineer:

Ron KTXT does infact broadcast the Gem star Guide, and we broadcast 24/7 as of July 1st 05 . I can only suggest that you make sure your DVD does have the feature to receive the Gem star Guide Plus.

Martin Quintero

Chief Engineer

KTXT-TV

Texas Tech University

After the 6th day from initial setup, my TVGOS has been fully populated and has updated every day since.
Well it looks like the identity of the stations that transmit the TV Guide EPG will depend on the location. Does anybody else know which station(s) in their area transmits the EPG data? If so, please post the information here, so this can serve as a guide to those who are having problems getting their EPG to work properly. I will query WHYY, the PBS station in the Philly area, by e-mail to see if the statement on their website is still valid, and I will post their reply here. It may be out dated since they refer to "VCRs" in the statement.

The search goes on...

RG

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
You would think GemStar would list all of the stations that carry the EPG on their website? Maybe everybody should start emailing them to get them listed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313
You would think GemStar would list all of the stations that carry the EPG on their website? Maybe everybody should start emailing them to get them listed.
I have asked this myself. You would think it would kill them to do this. I decided to call the engineer at the local stations, KBMT in Beaumont Texas (CBS) was happy to tell me that they put GemStar out their analog feed and that they use DecisionMark to do their digital. I discovered by accident that my zip didn't work, but two zones over did. Go figure.

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
rgazzara,

Interesting. I get all my OTA out of Philly (including the T.O. circus & sideshow) and had always assumed the EPG was being broadcast from WHYY just like the time signal for my VCRs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have three PBS on my cable and get the TVG EPG info for WTVS Detroit and WFUM Flint, MI. I don't get it for WKAR Lansing, MI.

In the TVG channel display setup on my recorder it lists WGTE Toledo, OH so they probably provide the listings though that channel isn't available on my cable system. It is probably available on one of the other cable systems in my zip code.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313
Via a back channel, I have asked them to do just that.

I was able to determine conclusively that in Atlanta the EPG datais carried on 8/WGTV. They have a notoriously poor signal inside the perimeter (often pure snow for me), but once I tweaked my antenna to maximize WGTV, the EPG data locked right up.

This is for Gemstar's newer TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) brand. For their older Guide+ brand, the data is fed on 2/WSB, 5/WAGA, 8/WGTV and 46/WGCL.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson
rgazzara,

Interesting. I get all my OTA out of Philly (including the T.O. circus & sideshow) and had always assumed the EPG was being broadcast from WHYY just like the time signal for my VCRs.
Kelson,

Well that's what their website says anyway. I e-mailed them to clarify, but as of now, no response. Maybe later...?

RG

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
rgazzara, I'm not disputing your finding. I'm just surprised, that's all.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kelson,

I realize that. No problem here. ;)

RG

PS I guess that WHYY doesn't consider my question important, as they don't seem interested in answering it. It is possible that their website is referring to an older EPG and not the newer TV GUIDE on screen EPG. We may never know...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.