AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still haven't decided on a unit yet, had to put it on old for a few weeks. I just received my new JVC LCOS and it can take a cablecard. However, I'd lose the guide.

Question- Which DVDR would be the best option if an IR Blaster was not necessary? And would the DVDR's guide be a decent replacement for the cable guide? I don't think I'd go cable card if I couldn't somehow replace the guide which we absolutely require.

The JVC will automatically record to it's D-VHS, even a timed record. Any idea if the same could happen with a JVC DVDR?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So no opinions here? With all those who have DVDRs with and without the TV Guide and no one has an opinion?

Are the DVDRs TV Guides a good replacement for the local cable's guide?

If I went cablecard and lost the guide and STB, I could go without a IR Blaster, so which would be the better models without needing an IR Blaster? I've only researched units with an IR Blaster.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It depends upon what you want. There are dozens of threads here talking about the latest DVRs. Unless you have a specific feature, each one has its pros and cons. Regarding the TV Guide function, I think it's pretty clear from the posts that it is definitely not a replacement for your TV Guide although it has some nice features that you may find useful. The most popular models seem to be the Toshiba XS34 and Pioneer 533 and 633, with others opting for the latest Panasonic models, I think the EH50 but you can check out on their web site what they are offering.

I have a cablecard as well so I can appreciate your perspective. I sometimes recorded out from my HDTV into the DVR for channels not of the RF input. None of them need an IR blaster unless you are connecting it to your cable box and need to change channels. Good luck and enjoy your TV.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K, so it's still down to the Toshiba XS34 the Pioneer 633 then. I wasn't sure if JVC or LG, etc had something worth getting sans the IR blaster. I'm not sure my cable company has the cablecard yet, but since my JVC TV does, I figured I'd take that into consideration.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
I still haven't decided on a unit yet, had to put it on old for a few weeks. I just received my new JVC LCOS and it can take a cablecard. However, I'd lose the guide.

Question- Which DVDR would be the best option if an IR Blaster was not necessary? And would the DVDR's guide be a decent replacement for the cable guide? I don't think I'd go cable card if I couldn't somehow replace the guide which we absolutely require.

The JVC will automatically record to it's D-VHS, even a timed record. Any idea if the same could happen with a JVC DVDR?
Kid Red, the Red Man, the Kidster, still looking for a recorder, wants to make copies, hasn't pulled the trigger yet....

Dude, catch up by reading the threads which lately discuss the pros and cons of the Pioneers, Pannys and Toshiba units now out in great detail.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
squonk- Yea, still looking, I had put it on hold for a few weeks. I've been glancing back and forth every few days for anything new, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Also, I thought this would be a quick way to get a definitive answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.