AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the many versions of "TV guides" I've looked at and subscribe to none seem to give me just HDTV listings and more importantly clearly and accurately depict which shows are in 5.1 surround sound.


Are there any out there?


Chapdog


:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
To dream the impossible dream,

to fight the unbeatable foe,

to bear with unbearable sorrow,

to run where the brave dare not go...


To right the unrightable wrong,

to love pure and chaste from afar,

to try when your arms are too weary

to reach the unreachable star!


This is my quest --

to follow that star

no matter how hopeless,

no matter how far --

To fight for the right

without question or pause,

to be willing to march into hell

for a heavenly cause!


And I know

if I'll only be true

to this glorious quest

that my heart

will be peaceful and calm

when I'm laid to my rest.


And the world will be better for this

that one man, scorned and covered with scars,

still strove with his last ounce of courage

To reach the unreachable stars!



In other words, we're still looking for a guide that actually gives accurate HDTV listings, let alone 5.1.


Reading the advisories here is the best way I've found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shees :(


Is it that difficult!?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Chapdog,


Take a look at the HDTV Programming Synopsis at the top of this forum for general information on most HD programming, including which stations/networks are broadcasting DD 5.1.


For specific daily information you could take a look at the "What's On" section at www.hdtvgalaxy.com. They seem to indicate both the video and audio format for most pay channel HD programming.


As for accuracy I think you'll find that none of the guides are perfect, and usually not of their own doing. They're relying on information from others to be accurate and have to take it at face value. HBO and Showtime have been notorious for mistakenly listing programs as being HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chs4
Chapdog,


Take a look at the HDTV Programming Synopsis at the top of this forum for general information on most HD programming, including which stations/networks are broadcasting DD 5.1.


For specific daily information you could take a look at the "What's On" section at www.hdtvgalaxy.com. They seem to indicate both the video and audio format for most pay channel HD programming.


As for accuracy I think you'll find that none of the guides are perfect, and usually not of their own doing. They're relying on information from others to be accurate and have to take it at face value. HBO and Showtime have been notorious for mistakenly listing programs as being HD.
Thanks chs4,

Haven't seen that one and I'll give it a try. At first glance it seems to under-sell the amount of 5.1 actually being broadcast.

You're right too that I can't expect perfection...yet! It would be nice, though, to get it closer than not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chapdog
Thanks chs4,

Haven't seen that one and I'll give it a try. At first glance it seems to under-sell the amount of 5.1 actually being broadcast.

You're right too that I can't expect perfection...yet! It would be nice, though, to get it closer than not.
I think they've been burned in the past by stating a program will be 5.1, yet at airtime it is not. They take the heat for listing it in error, but they got that information from somewhere, no?


Until things settle out and there is some consistency most HD guides must either take a chance relying on information they receive (hoping it is accurate) or erring on the side of caution and not listing the specific audio/video format at all. HDTV Galaxy appears to prefer the latter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chs4
I think they've been burned in the past by stating a program will be 5.1, yet at airtime it is not. They take the heat for listing it in error, but they got that information from somewhere, no?


Until things settle out and there is some consistency most HD guides must either take a chance relying on information they receive (hoping it is accurate) or erring on the side of caution and not listing the specific audio/video format at all. HDTV Galaxy appears to prefer the latter.
thanks again chs4,


Woo hoo 400 posts for yoooou.


another milestone ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Quote:
thanks again chs4,


Woo hoo 400 posts for yoooou.


another milestone ;)
Hey, how do you like that? I hadn't noticed.


Now let me savor that number for a moment before I "Submit Reply"...


...AHHHHH...


..and so we move on!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top