AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV is Hitachi 65 TWX 20 B and has no HDMI. It does have DVI and component. I have Dish VIP 211 HD box with HDMI that i hooked to my TV with DVI / HDMI cord. (HDMI on one end and DVI on other end of cord). I have the sound hooked up to my old Panny SA XR 45 via optical.

I will be buying new receiver soon (with low budget of $ 400.00). I have been looking at the Onkyo 605, Pioneer 1018, yammy 661. My question is this:

If my new receiver has HDMI (with audio), I can go from the STB into the receiver with HDMI for my sound. Then, I run the HDMI out from my new receiver to my TV which I will have to use th HDMI / DVI cable. I know I wont have sound coming from the DVI, but wont I have sound if listening with surround sound receiver on?

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Yes you should.

I'd suggest downloading manuals for the specific receivers you are considering just to make sure there aren't any gotchas on handling DVI, but all modern receivers will process the audio and pass on the video. There are cases where specific gear, including some cable/sat boxes, have had problems with certain receivers on the HDCP handshake. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees with HDMI. If by chance you are one of the unlucky few, you could use HDMI for the audio & use component for video.

I've been lucky in that my display with DVI has worked with every HDMI source, thru both an external DVI switcher and now a receiver which is Pioneer.

ss9001

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes because your hdmi from satelite to reciever carries audio. My wife doesn't like to use the stereo so I also run a cable from sat box to tv as an alternative, this comes in handy @ night to not wake anyone.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the Onkyo 605 wont work since it doesnt carry audio via HDMI correct? I need to look at 606 if Onkyo is still a consideration?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not much, maybe the 606 will be the key. I was really looking froward to upgrading to the True HD and get away from the Optical and Coax. At least I think I am. haha. I am trying to get my arms around the new "sound". I cant get True HD with optical but this is new water for me. Isnt HDMI the only way to get True HD audio?

Maybe HK would be a good choice. I'll have to look into the audio HDMI receivers some more.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The new panny dmp bd50, pioneer 05 & 51 sony s550 will play the new hi res formats on the multi- analog rca jacks. SONY, this fall, pan july 3, pio 3rd week in july. the pio will need an upgrade for dtsma soon after release.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered the Yamaha 663 due to great price. Hopefully, I wont be one of the few that has handshake problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well, I'm currently using (testing) a 606, using a panny 9UK with a DVI board and an HDMI to DVI cable running from the 606 to the panel.

I have three other HDMI sources, BRDVD, PS3 and VUDU that all carry Video and Audio via HDMI to the receiver and then just VIDEO to the panny. I haven't had any HDCP issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts