AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been answered, but I just got my 5063 and this thread is huge. What is the best input resolution to input into the TV. Let's start with a DVD player, should I have the DVD player send the TV 480p or if I bought the new Denon 2910 would it be better to send the TV 720p. My cable box allows me to choose between many different resolutions to send to the TV. It has 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and some others (like 420p wide.) So what should I be setting these component's output resolution at? What is the optimal resolution to send to the Samsung 5063? The new cable box I received has a DVI output so I don't know what options I will have to send to the TV, but what is best to give me the best picture?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have a 4663 and I have my cable box set to use 480p for all SD signals and to use 720P for all HD signals. I use a DVI-D cable.

I use composite progressive scan for my DVD player as I don't have any other options except for s-video and composite.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walford
I use composite progressive scan for my DVD player as I don't have any other options except for s-video and composite.
Do you mean "component progressive scan"?

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erikb333
I apologize if this has been answered, but I just got my 5063 and this thread is huge.

You just started a thread. :D

What is the best input resolution to input into the TV.

The "native" resolution of your TV is 720p.

Let's start with a DVD player, should I have the DVD player send the TV 480p or if I bought the new Denon 2910 would it be better to send the TV 720p.

If you already have a DVD player connect it to one of the component inputs and try outputting both 480i and 480p. Unless you have a very good DVD player the 480i output will probably give you better picture quality. Be sure that your DVD player knows that you now have a 16x9 screen attached to it.

Denon has a good reputation so both the 1910 and 2910 are probably very good. Check the DVD Players forum for information.

If I had one of them I would use a digital (HDMI/DVI) connection and route the sound to the receiver with a digital connection. Bluejeans is a good on-line source for reasonably priced cables.

My cable box allows me to choose between many different resolutions to send to the TV.

This is a personal choice. I have mine (Motorola 6200)connected with a DVI/HDMI combo cable and it is outputting 720p with 480i override set to off. The TV "p. size" is set to Wide (TV).

I use 720p so that ABC, Fox, and ESPN don't need any scaling. Others choose 1080i to allow the TV to scale everything to 720p. Take your choice, use the one you like best.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by walford
I have a 4663 and I have my cable box set to use 480p for all SD signals and to use 720P for all HD signals. I use a DVI-D cable.

Do you mean you hook up your cable box to the tv with a DVD-D cable for hidef and component for SD. I don't see any other way to have your cable box send two different types of resolutions for SD and Hidef.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
If you already have a DVD player connect it to one of the component inputs and try outputting both 480i and 480p. Unless you have a very good DVD player the 480i output will probably give you better picture quality. Be sure that your DVD player knows that you now have a 16x9 screen attached to it.
I have a Denon 2200 hooked up through component with the widescreen option set correctly. I tried changing from 480i to 480p, but when I chose 480i, the Samsung 5063 wouldn't allow me to view my Denon menu. I would be visible for a second or two then disappear. The menu would still be there, so luckily by memory I was able to get the DVD back to 480p.

Quote:
This is a personal choice. I have mine (Motorola 6200)connected with a DVI/HDMI combo cable and it is outputting 720p with 480i override set to off. The TV "p. size" is set to Wide (TV).
Your "with 480i overide set to off" is that an option on your box. I don't quite understand that. Do you do it through the box, through the television...? My STB allows me to choose which resolutions it will allow me to watch. It goes through a test. It'll show a screen in 480p, if I can see it I can choose it, it'll show a screen in 480i, 1080i and so on. Is this what you mean. I chose my cable box to allow all of those signals to be able to be viewed. So if I told the tv not allow 480i to be viewed, that is basically what you did.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
I have a Denon 2200 hooked up through component with the widescreen option set correctly.

I don't know the Denon 2200 but I would expect that it does a good job de-interlacing 480i. You would probably get better PQ from a up-scaling Denon DVD player but I don't know how much better it would be.

Your "with 480i override set to off" is that an option on your box.

It forces the STB to scale output to 720p regardless of the program being transmitted. The 720p programs are untouched and the 1080i programs are converted to 720p by the STB. With our cable company that seems to work well. Others have used a second output connection from their STB's because they feel it gives them better PQ with SD programs.

I chose my cable box to allow all of those signals to be able to be viewed. So if I told the tv not allow 480i to be viewed, that is basically what you did.

I see all programs regardless of their original resolution. (?)

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean you hook up your cable box to the tv with a DVD-D cable for hidef and component for SD. I don't see any other way to have your cable box send two different types of resolutions for SD and Hidef.
My Motorola 6412 allows this so did my Motorola 6200.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
It forces the STB to scale output to 720p regardless of the program being transmitted. The 720p programs are untouched and the 1080i programs are converted to 1080i by the STB. With our cable company that seems to work well. Others have used a second output connection from their STB's because they feel it gives them better PQ with SD programs.
Is there a reason why you allow your cable box to do the scaling and not the TV? You said you have the STB convert 1080i to 1080i for the TV. I don't quite understand this. How can you convert resolution 1080i to 1080i, it's 1080i to begin with. Where's the conversion?

I finally figured out what my cable box was doing when I hooked up the DVI cable. Like you did I overriden my 480i modes (or else my DVI wouldn't even work.) But I allowed 480p to go through or else those channels would show up with bars on the sides and I couldn't get them to fill the screen. 720p is also allowed to pass through as well as 1080i. But even through my TV has a fixed resolution of 720p, when I go to a hi def 1080i channel, a little 1080i shows up on the bottom right of the screen for a second or two.

I don't know if I still understand it all, but it all works and everything looks great, even SD over over DVI. I though I might have to have a seperate hookup for SD channels but it doesn't seem like I will. But thanks for the help, it allowed me to try and understand different things to try with allowing resolutions to go through.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Is there a reason why you allow your cable box to do the scaling and not the TV?

The only reason is to avoid converting the material that is already 720p.

You said you have the STB convert 1080i to 1080i for the TV. I don't quite understand this.

I can see why. :) It is a typo that I just corrected. Sorry it should have been "1080i to 720p".

But I allowed 480p to go through or else those channels would show up with bars on the sides and I couldn't get them to fill the screen.

When you do that you either get additional distortion or you are cropping the image.

720p is also allowed to pass through as well as 1080i. But even through my TV has a fixed resolution of 720p, when I go to a hi def 1080i channel, a little 1080i shows up on the bottom right of the screen for a second or two.

There is an "info" button on your remote. Try pressing that. It should give you the input resolution for what you are watching. I've never seen a live 1080i message on my screen. Maybe that's coming from your cable company.

But thanks for the help, ...

You're welcome.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Is there a reason why you allow your cable box to do the scaling and not the TV?

The only reason is to avoid converting the material that is already 720p.
I did some experimenting with my cable box. When I did not save 1080i as a resolution I could see thorugh my STB settings, the image was better. So what I inferred from this is that instead of the STB doing the scaling the TV did the scaling and did a better job of it. Then I tried it with 720p and got the same results.

So to sum up, I think when I do not choose in my STB setup whether or not I can see a certain resolution, it passes that signal directly to the TV untouched and then the TV does the appropriate scaling. With 720p not selected, it goes directly to the TV and the TV need do nothing because it is it's native resolution. With regards to the 1080i, the STB passes that signal directly to the TV and the TV scales it to the fixed resolution to 720p. I guess in my case, my TV does a better job of scaling than my STB.

But I still don't understand what you did with 720p. You said you allowed your STB to do scaling to avoid converting the material that is already 720p. But doesn't scaling convert the material? Isn't that what scaling means, converting the incoming signal resolution to the fixed resolution of your TV? So aren't you really converting the material that is already 720p by allowing your STB to do the scaling?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to add one more question, I've only ever had Scientific Atlanta box, but I've read of people setting the outputs onthe Moto's to 720p or 1080i, now is that done in the setup menu as we've been discussing or is there just a switch or specific option which tells you whether you're outputing 720p or 1080i?

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Some STB options allow all the incoming signals to be sent to the TV without scaling. Mine has a problem doing that so I have chosen between outputting 720p or 1080i.

I'm connected to my TV with a HDMI/DVI combo cable. The HDMI port on the TV will accept 480p, 1080i, and 720p but not 480i. If the original signal is 480i it has to be de-interlaced to 480p in the STB.

With my setup 720p is passed to the TV untouched. The TV displays it without additional processing.

Others with the same STB and TV that I have choose to set the STB to output everything in 1080i. That way the STB must scale 480p and 720p to 1080i. The TV then scales all the 1080i material back to 720p.

That's good for program material that originates in 1080i (NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.) because the original 1080i material is scaled one time by the TV.

It's not so good for 720p material (ABC, Fox, ESPN) because it gets scaled by both the STB and the TV. Choose your own poison. It probably doesn't make a big difference either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.