AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am moving into a new house and I'm trying to get my AV set-up figured out but have one tough problem that I can't figure out how to overcome. The TV will be mounted into an alcove that is pre-cut into the stone fireplace and I have one of two options. Either put a 55" TV which would leave me with about 6.5" of clearance on the bottom or top to put a speaker (or install an in-wall as my AV guy is suggesting) or install a 60" Samsung F8000 which would fit perfectly but would leave no room to put a speaker.

Any suggestions on how to include a center speaker if I go with the 60" (which I would love to be able to do as it literally would fit like a glove)? I always figured I could put the speaker on the mantle below but it would inevitably show the speaker wire on the stone which I REALLY don't want (the set-up right now is super clean with in-wall speakers and eventually a 8" Polk PSW111 sub). What should I do?

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
One solution would be to get a mason to dig out some of the mortar and run cables in that, and then into the wall. That'll be expensive though.

Another would be to put the TV somewhere else, and put some kind of cheap artwork in the hole. (Cheap because smoke + UV from the windows will damage it.) Your neck will thank you. Looking up at a TV that's so high is likely to to cause muscle fatigue.

Reactions: bulls

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomelino4  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24533071

What should I do?
Put a painting in that hole, put the screen on the wall to the right. Not only does the chimney mount leave no place for the center but the L/R would have to be placed too close together. Get a carpet on the floor and full drapes on the windows, or that room will be an acoustical nightmare.

Reactions: mrfattbill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Your neck will thank you. Looking up at a TV that's so high is likely to to cause muscle fatigue.

Yeah we thought about neck fatigue as well but luckily I convinced the wife to invest in a nice motorized reclining couch which puts us in the perfect position to view at such a high level/awkward angle. Plus having the TV higher up makes it view-able from the kitchen as well which will work great with friends over

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24533207

One solution would be to get a mason to dig out some of the mortar and run cables in that, and then into the wall. That'll be expensive though.

What about putting a center speaker on the mantle and sitting it up vertically (or substituting a bookshelf speaker) so as to hide the cable running from the mantle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24533258

Put a painting in that hole, put the screen on the wall to the right. Not only does the chimney mount leave no place for the center but the L/R would have to be placed too close together. Get a carpet on the floor and full drapes on the windows, or that room will be an acoustical nightmare.
This would be difficult as the 4 other surround, in-wall speaks are already positioned to work with the TV in that space...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24533258

+1

The centre of your screen should be at eye level when you are sitting.

But of course that would mean you want to look out the window, at the fireplace and at the TV - sigh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24533301

+1

The centre of your screen should be at eye level when you are sitting.

But of course that would mean you want to look out the window, at the fireplace and at the TV - sigh.
Yeah I am planning on eventually finishing the basement with a legit HT set-up within a few years but for now I am trying to figure out the best way to work with what I got (while keeping the wife happy)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I'd do like Bill suggested, and put a painting above the fireplace.

Put the TV on the wall with the windows. If you get an L-shaped couch you sit on one side to watch TV and the other to look straight at the fireplace.

If your wife gets tired of the TV being in front of the centre window, then she is pushing you to finish the basement.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
One option would be to lower the mantle to just above the fireplace opening then mount the center speaker on the mantle or just above mantle.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomelino4  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24533071

I always figured I could put the speaker on the mantle below but it would inevitably show the speaker wire on the stone which I REALLY don't want

Not if you do it wireless. You have power in the TV cubby hole, so you can plug in a wireless receiver - then the speaker wire is coming down from above.

I still say you are better to put the TV in front of the window though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I figured I would get a little hazing on this board given my set-up situation so I'll take it.

What about the prospect of putting a wall mounted center speaker behind the TV? If I went with a 55" instead of the 60" F8000 I would have about 6-7" of clearance so the sound isn't just hitting the TV... Would this actually work? If so, would it be better to put the speaker above or below the tv?

The only other option I could think of, which nobody really spoke to, would be to have a center channel speaker that sits vertically on the mantle (instead of the typical horizontal) so as to cover the wire. Does this work or does that really distort the sound? I also figured I could find a single book shelf speaker and use that as a center but I'm not sure if that would suffice either.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
If you are going to put the tv on the fireplace, just get a soundbar or a 2.0 or 2.1 setup! It will be way better than tv speakers....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24534051

If you are going to put the tv on the fireplace, just get a soundbar or a 2.0 or 2.1 setup! It will be way better than tv speakers....
I actually already have the in-wall speakers installed (done by the builder) which are to the left and right of the fireplace and on the ceiling of the break between the kitchen and the living room

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
This subject comes up from time to time and mounting a tv above a fireplace (I'm assuming you won't ever use the fireplace) is purely a personal thing. However, I do agree with everyone here. I'd figure out someplace else to install your tv. Above fireplace tv's look great in model homes but I just don't think they're that practical. I see one wall mounted speaker to the right but nothing on the left, unless it's crammed between the fireplace and wall. In which case your acoustics are gonna suck regardless of the quality of speaker you install. I know this is the kind of advice you don't want to hear and I think everyone is trying to be positive about but seriously consider other options.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomelino4  /t/1524412/tv-mounted-over-fireplace-where-to-put-center-speaker#post_24534052

I actually already have the in-wall speakers installed (done by the builder) which are to the left and right of the fireplace and on the ceiling of the break between the kitchen and the living room
Than just don't use a center channel. if you don't want to have one on your mantel with wire visible. The Builder should have ran a speaker hook up right where the TV is going for the center channel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts