AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation that I wonder if anyone else got answered or can recommend.

I am about to mount a 42 inch television to a wall, but was wondering if it was safe to just hang on just drywall with no stud. Behind the dry wall is about a 3/4 air space and then hollow cinder block. The furring strip (that is between the drywall and concrete)is not close to idea location to where I want the TV.

Was curious any recommendations, anchors used, etc...

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would not use just wall anchors. I guess I have been lucky, with all the TVs I have mounted, I have always been able to find atleast one stud to use lag bolts with. I did hang a picture frame shelf with only anchors once. I used ~30lb rated anchors, and placed 3 medium frames on the shelf, not quite 15lbs. The backside of the wall was the back wall of a bedroom closet. My daughter shut the closet hard one night, and the whole thing came crashing down. After replacing the frames, I mounted it again a little off center, but on a stud. Will always use a stud from now on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know there is no studs on this wall (the perimeter of my house is concrete cinder block).

I just patched the wall up. Now there is furring strips running vertical but like I said its nowhere close to the location (but I will have to dble check).

I will have to see if there is a long enough toggle straps or toggle bolt, but what if I go through try wall and then thru cinder block?

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
You could open your wall up an install blocking - mount a 2 x 10 to the cinder block, and then drywall over it. That's the best way.

I've been using snap togglers for about a year, for most drywall mounting (towel bar, TP holder, central vac hose rack), but I wouldn't use them for a TV. I've read others use them for TVs, but I would be hesitant.

http://www.av-express.com/AV-Catalo.../snaptoggle-drywall-steel-stud-anchor-10-bolt

I buy mine at Home Depot.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
How thick is the dry wall? Those togglers are a great product. Look at the specs on them and I am sure you will be fine. I have a 110" manual screen attached to rock lath (3/4") with 2 of those togglers. using 4 of them to attach a mount for a 45lb TV would be OVER KILL . That said, I am assuming this is NOT an articulating mount..
Or cut out a section and add ply wood backers not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
663 Posts
if there really is only 3/4" gap behind the drywall, there may not be enough space for the toggle to swivel into place. There should be a photo 1.5 in Neurorad's post showing the entire length of the toggle inserted behind the drywall, before being rotated into place. Been there. Been screwed by that. Invest in some fresh utility knive blades and a drywall saw and neatly cut out a section of drywall to replace with the aforementioned plywood of equivalent thickness. Heck, tape, mud and paint over it, if you're worried about the discerning eye, or just screw it on with tapcon screws into the cement block right over the top of the drywall if you aren't. Make sure there is blocking of some sort underneath each screw.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm not sure I would even trust the furring strips. They are usually 3/8" pine.

Is the cinder block hollow? If so, you can drill straight through and use a molly/ toggle through the cinder block. Even if it is filled, a concrete anchor would still be stronger than a wallboard anchor. Frankly, I don't trust that wallboard to remain stable with weight on it and only held up by the occasional furring strip.

·
Registered
291 Posts
IMHO you are better cutting two horizontal rectangles in the drywall, anchoring (screw and glue) a 2x4 in each hole, and attaching the mount to the 2x4.I was in a similar situation in my old house after doing some investigation I foundthe furring strips were only glued to the cinderblock wall with constructionadhesive :eek:. To make matters worse there was not enough room between the drywalland cinder block for any decent anchor. I was going to go down the path I suggested but then we decided to move. Now when we framed our basement a couple weeks ago I made sure there were two studs centered where the TV is going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts