AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased both a ReplayTV 5040 and a 5060. When either unit is plugged in, I get snow on the lower channels 3-6 and also in the mid 40s. This is only when the ReplayTV is plugged in - but turned off. The snow is when I am watching cable channels with the ReplayTV turned off. If I turn on the VCR and watch the cable channels, I do not get the snow. I replaced the VCR thinking that was the problem with a brand new one and still have the issue. If I am watching thru the VCR or thru the ReplayTV, I get no snow. This is an older TV (has coax input plus antenna). How can I shield the signals from the ReplayTV. I tried aluminum foil between the ReplayTV and the VCR - but this did not help the situation. I haven't tried putting aluminum foil between the TV and the ReplayTV.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Try reversing the AC plug of the Replay. It's a long shot, but costs nothing to try.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
Try reversing the AC plug of the Replay. It's a long shot, but costs nothing to try.
It's been many years since I've seen an AC plug that wasn't polarized, and the Replay's is no exception. So unless your house has ancient wiring, chances are you can't reverse the plug.

How do you have the Replay's connected to the cable and the TV, and how does the VCR fit in?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777
It's been many years since I've seen an AC plug that wasn't polarized, and the Replay's is no exception. So unless your house has ancient wiring, chances are you can't reverse the plug.

How do you have the Replay's connected to the cable and the TV, and how does the VCR fit in?
yes, but you are assuming that the tolerances aren't loose enough it wasn't forced in the other way to start with, and that the wiring behind that plug is also 'correct'. (polarized AC bugs me anyway, IT IS AC, which means there isn't a positive or negative, either one gets 60 chances every second to kill you! ;-) but yeah, lots of electronics can be sensitive to polarization, and many home stereo amps even come with a switch that allows you to reverse the input polarity if there is ground hum.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Heck, they even could reverse polarity on the Enterprise's shields back in the 60's....

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkramer
(polarized AC bugs me anyway, IT IS AC, which means there isn't a positive or negative, either one gets 60 chances every second to kill you! ;-)
Umm... not true. Only one side is "hot". The other is connected to ground and has no power on it whatsoever.

·
Registered
535 Posts
When you put in the replay, you most likely needed to put in a coax splitter, maybe it is the splitter that is causing the problem? Or you may need a splitter to make things work right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are spliiters involved. I have ordered a Cable Signal Amplifier and should have it early in the week. If it's a week signal causing the problem, the Amplifier will take care of the problem. Maybe it will also take care of the problem where I cann't get channels 21 & 22 very well too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Cheap splitters (like the ones sold at The Home Labyrinth ) are notoriously troublesome. I got rid of several and replaced them with professional grade ones from a sympathetic Comcast tech, and all my snowy troubles went away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Signal Amplifier cured the problem and also allows me to see channels that were unviewable before. Thanks for all of the responses.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Glad the amp cured the problem. Seems the Replay (and I'm assuming the fan on this one) puts out a heckuva lota EMI. I hooked up one at my in-laws a while back in the living room and it screwed up the signal in the bedroom TV. Granted they've got WAY old electrical wiring and the coax and splitters are crap. Good surge protector with EMI protection cleaned it up.

Where do you guys pick up decent splitters/amps without spending an arm and a leg? The last good one I got came from a DirecTV guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.