AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I want to mount a tv on a wall and run its power cord behind the wall, but I know it’s against code to do this. Do they make power cords that can go behind the wall? I tried searching for them but can’t find any.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Power cords are not permitted in wall, but the way around that is a power inlet/outlet pair. You jumper from an existing outlet to a new recessed inlet. The inlet is connected in the wall using code compliant wiring methods to a new outlet behind the TV.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I've seen this. So why are these wires allowed to be behind walls but not the power cord of a tv?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,967 Posts
Durability, Consistent testing standards, Building unions and Electrical codes. The Romex wire used to connect the inlet to the outlet is a known and thoroughly tested in-wall approved wire. The power cord that came with your Chinese TV is an unknown.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Durability, Flammability, Consistent testing standards, Building unions and Electrical codes. The Romex wire used to connect the inlet to the outlet is a known and thoroughly tested in-wall approved wire. The power cord that came with your Chinese TV is an unknown.
which brings me to my original question. is there a power cord that is tested and safe to put behind a wall?

·
Administrator
21,903 Posts
Have there been any documented cases of fires solely because someone ran a TV power cord behind the drywall and down 6 feet?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,967 Posts
Just a related story, I was building a theater in a $5 million house. They hired someone to install TVs upstairs, We chatted briefly and I observed him running TV power cords in the wall. Nothing fancy punched a hole behind the TV and punched one lower hidden behind a credenza. Tacky.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,967 Posts
Velooci, if you decide to do this you need to eliminate any evidence that you knew better. Insurance covers damages caused by clueless homeowners but not homeowners that knowingly violate building codes. They have to prove you knew.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Romex wire used to connect the inlet to the outlet is a known and thoroughly tested in-wall approved wire.
BTW: Romex is FLAMABLE. It's not a good in-wall wire choice except that it is cheap. It is NOT CL2 rated.
However it is claimed that the wire staples that are REQUIRED every few feet provide a pinch in the wire that stops flame propagation.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have there been any documented cases of fires solely because someone ran a TV power cord behind the drywall and down 6 feet?
i doubt it. I don't see how doing this is bad. its not like the cable gets hot.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
120 Posts
BTW: Romex is FLAMABLE. It's not a good in-wall wire choice except that it is cheap. It is NOT CL2 rated.
However it is claimed that the wire staples that are REQUIRED every few feet provide a pinch in the wire that stops flame propagation.

I'm not an electrician but I do work with a master electrician... Who saved my rear end when I was planning and building my HT.
Your mixing up ratings. CL2/3/P is applied to Audio/visual/data applications NOT residential/commercial electrical service applications using NM cable.

Residential/Commercial service wiring is a different classification. Where mandating different gauge NM cables for the amount of amps and the distance of the run the circuit is pulling to avoid overheating and fire come into play.

Yes, Romex is flammable. It's not fireproof.

Chinese power cords/extension cords are known to have counterfeit UL labels, insufficient wire gauges, and generally no identifying markings. I wouldn't bury one in a wall.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Why not just use a cord cover and not worry about it? There are plenty of track types that are paintable and will blend in well.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why not just use a cord cover and not worry about it? There are plenty of track types that are paintable and will blend in well.
there are 3 reasons why I can't do that:
1. I have a wife.
2. I have a wife.
3. I have a wife.

Ok kidding. I just don't like seeing those wires. so either I will get an electrician to put another outlet up there, use the suggestion that Sands recommended at the top of this thread or I can position the TV just above the center speaker so that you can't see the wires anyways, or you will only see it for an inch or two.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
which brings me to my original question. is there a power cord that is tested and safe to put behind a wall?
Flexible cords and cables are explicitly prohibited by the code to be run in the wall, so it's not just a rating and testing thing. That's why you won't find one specifically designed for in wall use.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This does not seem any different than running an extension cord under a rug. Plug the tv into a 12 gauge extension cord and run that through the wall, then if there was an overload it would not happen in the wall.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts