AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, lame subject, but let me explain. I have a Pano plasma TV. I use an optical to get sound to my Yamaha RX-A820 receiver for OTA TV watching. I get about 10 stations, and on 8 of them, sound works fine. On two there is no sound through the receiver, but there is sound through the TV speakers. I've tried sound through ARC as well, and the same thing happens. I've walked through the pano and Yamaha settings, and I can't find anything that might help.

To reiterate, sound works find through the receiver for 8 or 10 channels, but not for the last 2. For all ten channels, sound works fine on the TV.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
OK, lame subject, but let me explain. I have a Pano plasma TV. I use an optical to get sound to my Yamaha RX-A820 receiver for OTA TV watching. I get about 10 stations, and on 8 of them, sound works fine. On two there is no sound through the receiver, but there is sound through the TV speakers. I've tried sound through ARC as well, and the same thing happens. I've walked through the pano and Yamaha settings, and I can't find anything that might help.

To reiterate, sound works find through the receiver for 8 or 10 channels, but not for the last 2. For all ten channels, sound works fine on the TV.

Any ideas?
Any way to determine what format is used for the audio from each channel? I can't imagine that any OTA channel would use a format not compatible with your AVR, but that is the first thing I would check.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea how to determine the OTA audio format. I assume it's digital. Are stations in the US still allowed to broadcast in analog?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have no idea how to determine the OTA audio format. I assume it's digital. Are stations in the US still allowed to broadcast in analog?
If you go to tvfool.com and give it your address, it will give you stats on all the tv stations in your area. Click the button that says analog only and see if the 2 stations with no audio are on the list. If so, try connecting with RCA outs, if your Panny has them (you may want to try this anyway).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you go to tvfool.com and give it your address, it will give you stats on all the tv stations in your area. Click the button that says analog only and see if the 2 stations with no audio are on the list. If so, try connecting with RCA outs, if your Panny has them (you may want to try this anyway).
Interesting. All the channels I watch are digital, so that's not the issue. It might come down to how the channel is sending the audio.

I'll try analog cables next. Still, this is a real head scratcher.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
idiot pilot error! I had unplugged my mains to test my center. I guess most of the channels broadcast in a way the sound came through the center, but two stations only in stereo. Once I plugged in the fronts, all is well.

Stupid me!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
...most of the channels broadcast in a way the sound came through the center, but two stations only in stereo. ...
I was thinking along these lines... not all stations send AC3-encoded 5.1 surround, so perhaps the stereo signal from the last 2 stations was handled differently by the TV or AVR? It does my compatibility-loving heart good to learn it was speaker connections, not a TOSlink issue. My TV is fine for both 5.1 and 2-channel via optical, so should yours!

HAve fun,
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts