AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Starting this thread over with proper heading and my 'fool' report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b9400a7c698ca

I am (forced) retired and live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. I need to reduce monthly expenditures so I am going to "cut the cable"-- but I'm having some problems receiving local TV channels.

Here are the details:

- I live 25 miles NE of downtown Dallas and apparently "all" local broadcast towers are ~12 miles SW of downtown.

- Our 'main' local channels are 4, 5, 8, 11 and 13 and these are the ones we definitely want to access.

- Due to our neighborhood and appearance I would like to keep the antenna in the attic

The problem is that so far, I cannot get all these channels at the same time, mainly channels 5, 8 and 11. That is, I can turn my antenna just a little and pickup all but 8 or turn it again to get 8 and lose 5 and/or 11.

The antenna that I purchased and am using is the Antennas Direct C2 which is supposed to be an omni-directional antenna so it seems strange to me that a small direction adjustment affects signal strength so much- unless I am at the distance limits for this antenna? I do see that this Antennas Direct C2 is advertised as a UHF- not VHF antenna.

I am very willing to purchase a different antenna- but need to be a sure as possible the next one will solve my issues?

Any ideas?

R. Dave Scott, Sachse Texas

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
A couple of thoughts- The C2 is a directional UHF antenna. It is best suited for receiving channels that have a channel number above 13 in the real channel column of your TVFool report. When selecting antennas the virtual channel number is unimportant. Only the real channel matters. An antenna like the RCA ANT751 would be better for the real channels numbered 7-13 as well as UHF channels.

Although your channels are strong at your location, reception in an attic cannot be guaranteed because of unknowns in the in construction and nearby obstructions.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts