AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got married, and in the process got my first TV (yeah, 28 and no TV). My wife has pushed me to go all out, so we've already purchased a JVC DVD (progressive) player, JVC reciever/speakers, and the TIVO/DirectTV will be installed on Monday. Her old 20" TV is about ten years old and only has one coaxial input, so I think it's time to replace it.

My question is what TVs should I look at getting. I'm not looking to drop more than around $500 (which if I was single would be about ten video games or thirty books). If possible, I would like to get a JVC TV for the simple reason that the reciever and DVD player have something called AV Compu Link which allows them to communicate with eachother (only one remote required). We live in a small townhouse in on Capitol Hill in DC, so we have limited space and will be sitting about nine feet from wall where the TV will go.

Any recommendations? Is HDTV worth it or should I wait four years and then trade in for a HDTV? How should I connect the TV to the receiver/DVD player (S-Video/optical/AV Input)?

Thanks guys for helping out a new guy to the TV world.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
In my opinion, HDTV is worth it, but you certainly can get a great standard TV for under $300 and wait till costs come down for larger screens. Or you can expand your budget and get a 27" HDTV for a little over your budget.

Many on this forum have TVs that cost multiple thousands of dollars embracing the latest technologies. You may not be ready for that step.

Your new DVD player probably has component outputs (my JVC is almost 2 years old and has them) and most new TVs have component inputs, so that would be the connection I'd start with.

Rich N.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks raidbuck, I'll make sure the TV has component inputs.

I tried doing research on here before posting and was amazed about how much money the nicer systems cost. Most guys on here are way out of my league in terms of what I'm willing to pay for a home theater system. I can't imagine how amazing some of these systems must be.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would get something really big so that if she isn't happy with your MANHOOD she has something big to occupy her time :D . But, seriously I would go with a Widescreen HDTV monitor which has progressive component inputs. Either RPTV or Directview, size is your choice according to your environment. I like Toshiba and Panasonic TVs and am not too happy with SONY, Hitachi or Mitsubishi.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
I'll make sure the TV has component inputs.
You want to ensure that the TV accepts progressive video (and not just component video).

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
"Most guys on here are way out of my league in terms of what I'm willing to pay for a home theater system. I can't imagine how amazing some of these systems must be".

For only $999.00 I have a slightly over 9 foot diagonal picture that in a lot of a cases probably beats my 55" HDTV when playing DVDs. So, you can get a mind blowing theater for about a grand. Not quite as expensive as some might imagine. Not too bad when you consider some 55" rear projection tvs cost $2,000-$3,000. My screen is about 1 inch less than DOUBLE that screen size. I'm thinking of moving up another 12 inches, and it'll cost me nothing.

HDTV Rear projection TVs tend to start costing nearly a hundred dollars per extra inch, which is ridiculous, especially when I can simply add 12 to my already huge screen for free.

Click on my gallery if you want to check out a screenshot. I only have one current pic which was taken with the lights on, so any graininess is caused by the lack of light where my camera is stationed. Also, there is a large florescent light directly on the screen, so I'm surprised at how decent it came out. The actual image is FAR FAR better.

So, if anyone says you can't have a REAL home theater fairly cheap, they are dead wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info so far. If I don't go with a JVC TV, I don't get the AV Compulink feature that lets the TV/Reciever,DVD Player communication thing happen automatically. I think this means that hitting play on the DVD player turns the reciever on and set to "DVD Digital" and the TV sets itself automatically to the right channel and setting for showing DVD stuff.

Is it worth even worrying about trying to get a JVC just for this feature or should I look at the other recommended brands?

·
Registered
440 Posts
for 500 you wont get a proscan/component tv.

i would say buy a new 32" tv with that compulink thing (no idea if it works well or not?)... save some cash, and get a larger monitor when your budget is better suited for hd.

just trying to help, if you watch a lot of movies and not a lot of tv consider a widescreen model.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cathedral
So I just got married, and in the process got my first TV (yeah, 28 and no TV). My wife has pushed me to go all out
Oh, man... most newlyweds should *have* such problems! :) My GF likes her TV... I got her a ShowStopper when I got mine even though she thought it was too gimicky, and she *loves* it now! But she still rolls her eyes and thinks my 50" Tosh is excessive... :)

Quote:
My question is what TVs should I look at getting. I'm not looking to drop more than around $500 (which if I was single would be about ten video games or thirty books).
One word... library. Get your books for free and save that money for a bigger screen! :)

Before I got my Toshiba, I got a 36" tube Sony from Best Buy or something for around $7-800. I still have it as my bedroom TV. I've been as happy with it as I can be, with no component in, no progressive scan, black bars top 'n bottom when watching a DVD or HBO, but otherwise a very nice set. That's what I'd recommend... get a nice big CRT and save your nickles and dimes for an HDTV-ready RPTV later.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
as someone else stated fp al the way. and with the price drop of the x1 to under a grand who can pass it up?? but act now cause from what i understand they are removing the DCDi chip to make it even cheaper..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.