AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi 50UX26B RPTV that I am having a problem with. I don't know if it is something I did or if something has gone bad in the set. I was using a universal remote to send codes to the tv ( I was looking for a discrete input/power code). At the time, I did not know how bad an idea this was.

Anyway, a week or so after I did this, I noticed that that while most scenes looked fine, some would have a lot of "jaggies" on the edges of moving objects. It seems to be the worst on straight edges.

I got a hold of the service manual just to see if I could find out what I might have done. Since there wasn't a section in bold that said "do this to fix your problem," I decided to call a professional.

Hitachi lists 2 service centers in Memphis. I called both and only one actually services their RPTVs, Electronics Unlimited on Macon, and I was wondering if anyone has ever used them? I asked about calibrating the set after fixing the problem and was basically told that the Auto digital convergance was as good as you can get. They did not seem to want to do any kind of manual convergance and said that it would never be 100% anyway. They said that as long as 80% or more of the picture was in convergence, then it was "within spec."

I am currently scheduled for someone to come out early next week to fix the jaggies problem, but I'm thinking of canceling because their answsers about the convergence just don't quite sit right with me. The thing is, I don't have to have them calibrate the set, just fix the problem I am having. I can always find someone else to do the calibration. However, I am still concered about their ability to fix the set without causing more problems based on their answers. I say this only because of prior experience with another shop and my previous rptv.

Anyone know a person or place in Memphis that they trust? Or does anyone have any advice about what might be wrong with the set?

Thanks in advance,

descentr

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I had a Hitachi RPTV I used Giant TV which were at that time an authorized repair center. Now that I have Pioneer I had warranty work done by Anchor on Cherry Rd. I don't know what company(s) they are authorized for but they did competent work. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marc,

I called Giant TV and they said they do not make in-home service calls. They won't even look at it to see what needs repair before taking it into their shop. I'd really like the set to at least be diagnosed in-home so I can decide what I want to do.

I may keep my appointment with the other company and let them see if it is something simple. If it ends up having to go in, I may decide to wait on the repairs depending on the cost.

Thanks for your help,

descentr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.