AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come we have not seen much in the way of television series being released in HD on either format? Television shows are leading in sales over movies and have become a big trend in home video over the last few years. NBC / Universal has an impressive collection of television series, and Fox has a lot to offer the Blu-Ray side. In fact, I was somewhat surprised the "24 Season 6 Season Premier" that was released on DVD today wasn't also offered on BD.

I understand some older television series would take some cleaning up and remastering. They also were shot in 4:3 and may not benefit too much from an HD transfer. But what about newer television series? Many shows have been mastered 16:9 HD for several years now. 24 and Battlestar Galactica are two series that come to mind. Does anyone have any insight as to why we aren't seeing more television content coming to HD? Other than Smallville and the Original Star Trek TV series, I haven't seen anything announced. It has been nothing but movie releases.

·
Banned
720 Posts
It will pick up over time. They just need to get the ball rolling when more people have the players in ther homes.

My rule of thumb right now is if it was recorded in HD I won't buy it until it is available in HD.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Average movie length = ~2hrs.

Compared to a 13 or 22 episode series, there is a lot less expense involved.

But BSG has been announced for an HD-DVD release.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I want Entourage...

·
Registered
701 Posts
ditto - I really wish HBO would get their act together and announce Season 3 of Entourage for HD...the only thing I can hope is they're waiting for a COMPLETE season 3 set instead of the part 1 & part 2 ******** that sd dvd is getting.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek /forum/post/0

Average movie length = ~2hrs.

Compared to a 13 or 22 episode series, there is a lot less expense involved.

But BSG has been announced for an HD-DVD release.

I just wish a date would be announced for BSG... then at least I wouldn't be constantly wondering when it will be released!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_riginal /forum/post/0

I just wish a date would be announced for BSG... then at least I wouldn't be constantly wondering when it will be released!

Yes.... please give us the release date already

I bought BSG Season 1 and Season 2.0 box sets, but that's where I stopped because of the impending HD sets... . I'm not buying Season 2.5 or Season 3xx untill it's out on HD-DVD.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Some TV shows are broadcast in 720p, will all of them be re-mastered up to 1080p? Or will some of them be released at their broadcast definition of 720p?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0

Some TV shows are broadcast in 720p, will all of them be re-mastered up to 1080p? Or will some of them be released at their broadcast definition of 720p?

I'm not an expert, but I believe the stations convert whatever the master is to their broadcast specs. The master is most likely higher resolution, but like I said, I am just speculating. I have no knowledge or experience with the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts