AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background (if you care - scroll down for question):

Sometime (circa 2000) I purchased a 55" Mitsubishi Diamond RPTV as the monitor for my AV system, but it has gotten old and even suffered some damage from a relative's dog. Since then, I've gotten married and left my job to go back to school, and money is scarce at the moment. I was quite surprised when the wife suggested we use this year's tax refund on a new TV. Her motivation is that she doesn't want to lug the RPTV around when we move in 6 months, but I don't really need an excuse to go shopping!

Here is the situation we're in: I will be taking a job in July that will require me to move two or three times in the following two years. After that we will be in a permanent location. So basically I'm planning on having the TV I buy now be a "temporary" solution until we are settled in a permanent location and I can give serious thought to something like front projection. The TV that I buy now will probably end up in our bedroom when it is replaced as the "main" TV in a couple years.

Moral of the story (my question):

The problem is that I haven't paid much attention to TVs these last 8 years, and I don't even know where to start my search. I used to hang out here often, and I figured you guys could steer me in the right direction.
  • I am thinking that I would like something in the 50" range, because I'm not crazy about losing a lot of screen size from what I have now.
  • Our budget is probably $2000 or less. I would be perfectly happy if you can suggest a great TV for $1000, but I'm willing to spend more if there is value in it.
  • I do not have any brand preference or loyaties
  • Sources I watch are approx 40% SDTV, 20% HDTV, 15%SD DVD, 15% Blu-ray, 10% Wii
  • Current viewing distance is about 12 feet, but I have no clue what they will be in the coming years
  • Tuner and speakers are unnecessary now, but may be needed in the future if the unit becomes a bedroom TV
  • I live in a medium-small town where the only electronics retailer is BB, but Houston is only an hour and a half away. I am also open to ordering on-line from reputable dealers.

Thanks for the help!

Mac

·
Registered
147 Posts
The LN52A630 is a very nice 1080p LCD, but it'll set you back around $1750, give or take a little. A couple more possibilities:

Panasonic 50PX80U - 720p plasma, 50", around $1000, maybe less with a Super Bowl or March Madness sale and new model lines coming out soon. At 12', you don't benefit from 1080p in a 50/52" screen, and it would serve well as a bedroom display.

Samsung PN50A450 - 720p plasma, closer to $900 right now, maybe less soon. I prefer the PQ of the Panny, but this is a very nice display as well that IMO fits your scenario.

Later, when you know the dimensions of your long term main viewing area, you can go all out on more compelling products, in all likelihood with better PQ than today's offerings.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Vizio vp505

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15592550

It's easy: LN52A630 from Amazon.

Is there a significant difference between this unit and the LN52A650?

The only difference I see in the specs is the contrast ratio is 50,000:1 instead of 40,000:1, and the number of HDMI inputs.

The number of HDMI inputs is not a factor to me, but is the increased contrast ratio noticable?

Thanks,

Mac

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac02 /forum/post/15597912

Is there a significant difference between this unit and the LN52A650?

The only difference I see in the specs is the contrast ratio is 50,000:1 instead of 40,000:1, and the number of HDMI inputs.

The number of HDMI inputs is not a factor to me, but is the increased contrast ratio noticable?

Thanks,

Mac

I think they have the same electronics, but the A630 has a matte screen, while the A650 is more like clear glass, and more reflective.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uminchu /forum/post/15598073

I think they have the same electronics, but the A630 has a matte screen, while the A650 is more like clear glass, and more reflective.

... and it does not support Infolink (a limited access to wireless internet) but the A650 does. The screen is matte enough so you will not see yourself in full detail when the scene is dark. And that 40,000:1 dynamic contrast, as menaingless as the number itself is, is really a nice thing to have to get good blacks. I used to have a 7,000:1 Samsung set, LNT40A42, and the difference is easy to see. My general advice is: buy the best set in size and specs you can afford or you will have buyer's remorse the very next day and you will be looking for a better set the day after.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Save your money, and get either the PX80u. or the Vizio.

We all start the same way, looking at a particular budget, and going completely way off base.

Stick to your guns, and get the cheaper set now. Once you have stabilized, go ahead and treat yourself to your new toy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts