AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only option is a good indoor antanna for DTV with my Converter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can this work for my areafor DTV..I have checked TVfool, I'm using a Radio Shack brand UHF/VHF Antanna - I only get 1 channel

Again, I can't haver a rooftop antanna it's my brothers house

Will the booster work for Analog also, I have 2 analog stations in my area, but can't receive them

·
Registered
12,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMania /forum/post/18137635

Can this work for my areafor DTV..I have checked TVfool, I'm using a Radio Shack brand UHF/VHF Antanna - I only get 1 channel

Will the booster work for Analog also, I have 2 analog stations in my area, but can't receive them

You may well benefit from a booster, but I cannot see how that one can work without any power input. And for $6 with free shipping? No way. Placebo. This is a decent booster .

The antenna you need depends how scattered the various broadcast stations are. Might need an omnidirectional unit (My brother uses one of these indoors, and it works great), but if most stations are clustered in the same location, a more directional antenna will work better, like this one from Terk.

AntennaWeb will help you determine what you need.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
An amplifier on an indoor antenna with a short lead is a usually a waste of time and money.

The ebay POS you linked to is intended for satellite systems and would draw its power from the receiver. It cannot amplify OTA signals without a power source. If you look at other of their products, it becomes clear they're quite a huckster for cheaply made junk that makes PT Barnum look too optimistic.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
WOW 30db gain no power needed!!

Works with any system it's a miracle!!

Only $6

Yes check antennaweb.org

you can try a signal booster I have the Motorola signal booster it has a good noise factor works well for me.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMania /forum/post/18137635

I find it amazing that this seller has a 99.5% favorable rating selling the junk that they do. Unfortunately, all of their sales are privacy protected, so it is impossible to see if anyone has bought this inline amplifier and is satisfied with it.

It won't work in your application without adding a power inserter. It is designed to be line powered by a satellite receiver. Amplifiers of that design have extremely low maximum output ratings, and it is really rare for a customer to have an off-air situation where they benefit from 30dB of gain with a low maximum output level.

I'm going to buy one just to test it to see if it really has 30dB of gain. If it does, it might be a nice amplifier for me, because I sometimes prefilter a single weak station and then have to boost it considerably to misx it in with stronger signals. In my application, the signal strength coming out of a bandpass filter might be -20 to -30dBmV, so if it really has 30dB of gain, it might not be overloaded in my application.

Your immediate best bet is to experiment with UHF only antennas, pointed to the south by southwest. You can forget about getting watchable, analog channel 2, but you just might get watchable analog channel 31. If you get some but not all of the south by southwest channels, you might then try using a Winegard 12 dB amplifier, because it will have a lower noise factor that your digital tuner does. But your best bet is to start working on your brother for permission to mount a rooftop antenna, which you would then share with him.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm going to buy the adapter, if it dosen't work with my Antanna

I just hook it up to the DirceTV

Sometimes ABC Family at Random Time breaks up or has No Signal at all..but the other Channels work fine

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how that test comes out. I could use them for the same issue.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMania /forum/post/18141886

Well I'm going to buy the adapter, if it dosen't work with my Antanna

I just hook it up to the DirceTV

Sometimes ABC Family at Random Time breaks up or has No Signal at all..but the other Channels work fine

It won't work with your antenna. It may or may not help with the DirecTV issue.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I'm not following MarioMania's set-up. Is he combining DirecTV and a digital antenna downlead? If he is, there isn't a chance that amplifying his DirecTV signal by 30 dB will in any way benefit him. The output of a DirecTV dish is around -30dBm per transponder. The maximum putput level of a cheap inline amplifier is typically no more than -20dBm, so unless a DirecTV signal first goes through about 300 feet of coax before it gets toi a 30dB inline amplifier, then the inline amplifier is unnecessary and will be overloaded and degrade both the direcTV signal and any off-air signals tha share the same channel path.

FYI, D* is the common, internet abbreviation for DirecTV, whereas DTV commonly means digital broadcast television.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike /forum/post/18149122

I'm not following MarioMania's set-up. Is he combining DirecTV and a digital antenna downlead?

He never mentioned DirecTV--just OTA.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.