AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having a problem getting my TV tuner to pick up my tv signal. I have Comcast Digital Cable that I am running through Comcast's Digital Transport Adapter (DTA). The signal is then piped into my Win 7 64bit MCE PC via an AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner. link here:

www(dot)newegg(dot)com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100041

Before I had this DTA, Media Center could only pick up about 17 of my 60 or so channels, so when Comcast said they were giving out these free DTAs I got one hoping it would solve the problem. However, now when I try to set up my TV signal on MC I get nothing, It by-passes this screen

www(dot)hdtvtunerinfo(dot)com/images/rmscr1.jpg

and goes straight into an automatic setup, not allowing me to select set top box as a tv option. If someone could help me solve this problem, well, that'd be great. Thanks.

ps: sorry for the broken links, I didnt want to post 3 useless posts inorder to show URLs, thats just as much spamming as just showing th URLs

·
Registered
701 Posts
Have you tested the DTA directly to a television to make sure it's outputting signal at all? What are you going to use to change the channel on the DTA from the HTPC?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered 2 DTAs one for my TV and one for my PC, the one on my TV is setup and works like a charm, so I dont think its a DTA problem. As for changing the channel - if I'm correct, MC has the ability to let you use your set top box remote with MC, if that fails though Ill just keep MC on channel 3 while I change the channel on the DTA with the provided remote.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The duet is the wrong product for cable users, it's ATSC only. The Duet is best suited for the over the air crowd. You need a NTSC tuner for analog cable or to receive a signal from the DTA box. You could use the Duet for your OTA stuff in HD and pick up an NTSC tuner for your cable stuff.

The "digital transport adapter" is just a cable box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you suggest a quality NTSC Tuner?

How about this one from Hauppauge?

www(dot)newegg(dot)com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116037

last post with broken links. sorry.

·
Registered
701 Posts
For NTSC I like the ATI 650 tuners, had a pair of 550s back in the day and the 650 uses the same image processing/encoding and one of the same tuners, just a few updates to support pcie and clear qam, had one for a short time and it worked quite well while I needed it.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
How much longer is Comcast going to support analog channels? The 2250 is a good tuner but expensive. The 650 tuner costs about 1/2 the money but is a combo (one digital + one analog). You could also get 2 of the Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815293010 For $60 (if you do rebates) and still be cheaper than the 2250. Doing a dual ASUS gives you FOUR tuners that can do 2 digital and 2 analog at the same time. Plus you get 2 USB MCE remotes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Before you buy anything I would do just a bit more research because you may not need to buy anything and get better quality in the end.

The Duet you have is a dual digital tuner for both OTA or clear QAM (cable digital channels that are not encrypted) but, as you have found out, does not have an analog (NTSC) tuner. Your cable company is no longer sending out analog channels so instead they gave you the DTA which will take the digital channels they do send out and convert them to analog. You are now looking to buy an analog tuner so that you can take the converted analog channels from the DTA and convert them back to digital. These conversions will degrade the quality. I don't have comcast or a DTA but a quick google search is leading me to believe that these DTA do not decrypt the digital signal. The signal must be unencrypted to start with for them to work. If the digital signal that comcast sends out is unencrypted (clearQAM) then your duet card should be able to pick them up without you having to go through all this conversion. So go to this website put in your zip code, select your provider and see what channels you should be able to receive with your duet. If it's all the channels your DTA gets then you are all set. You may need to add the missing channels manually to WMC as it has a problem identifying all the channels.

Also, if you do need to buy an NTSC tuner, getting a dual tuner will not help you. The dual tuner only work when the signal is being fed directly and they control the tuning. Since the DTA will do the actual tuning (when you want to change channels you will have to change it on the DTA) only one tuner on the card will be in use just receiving one channel at a time from the DTA on either channel 3 or channel 4 since these DTA don't even have an S-video or composite output.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts