AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i will have a infocus 4805 projector coming this week. and i was wondering how i can send basic cable to the projector.

i think what i can do is get a dvd/vcr player and hook the cable (rg59) to the vcr antena in and then will the signal go to the projector via the component cables? so i can use the tuner to watch basic cable on the projector? i dont have a cable box, and i dont watch much tv but i would like to every now and then watch it on the projector. im lost. please help steer me in the right direction if im out in space on my idea. my projector dosnt have a tv tuner built in so you know. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
That would work IF the combo player you are looking at supports outputting the analog tv signal over teh component outputs. In my experience, none of the combos do that, the component outputs are only for the dvd player. A good S-VHS vcr would be a much better choice...a crappy combo player would be IMHO a poor match for a nice pj like the 4805...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm ok what about sending it to the pj using composite? i dont plan on using this dvd player combo for my main movie watching. i was gonna use the dvd part to play my HT intro and then the vcr part for a tuner. just trying to kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Cable and satellite companies always replace RG59 with shielded 2150mhz RG6 for the antenna IN feed. If they do not service calls are generated for pixelization, so try to avoid 59.

The highest res the 4805 will go to is EDTV (enhanced definition), which is 480P (progressive) using their s-video (looking) connector that adapts to component-video female RCA's. Regular s-video has 4 pins, their adapter as more. IMO, using a Comcast, Adelphia, or satellite receiver may re-produce the best picture. In the least use s-video from the receiver to the PJ (coaxial RG6 from service to satellite reciever, then s-video or component video out to the 4805). You will get the best colors using component out to the Infocus adapter.

As for sound, remember coaxial is monaural, so use at least the red and white RCA patch cables. If you get a higher end satellite or cable receiver you can use optical digital audio to get stereo surround sound and a discrete center channel feed. ;)

Yes, you can feed the projector with the yellow composite port, but picture quality will suffer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know... but for now i dont have a box or the funds for a box. so it will work thanks!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
You are welcome and yes, it can work both ways; you just have the best quality the digital route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.