Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been trying to set up my Media Center computer for close to a year. Here's what I have:

Windows MCE 2005

Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2GHz

1GB PC3200 Geil RAM w/ heatspreaders

160GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD

GeForce 6600GT 128MB

Fusion HDTVII Tuner

Huppauge 150MCE PVR

Sound Blaster Audigy w/ Live Drive

Asus 16x DVD-ROM

Microadvantage 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW

My current problem is when I try to view either Analog or Digital TV broadcasts in MCE, my computer slows down and it takes several seconds before it will respond to any command. I'm not sure what the problem is. My PVR can handle the MPEG encoding and my computer should be able to handle the rest. Currently I have my HTPC connected to my 17" monitor. My eventual goal is to purchase a XBOX 360 and use the HD MCE extender in that to connect to my HDTV. I'm afriad I will have the same lag time with that as I do now. Any suggestions?

Plus, I have one of the earlier versions of Fusion HDTV tuner card. Would there be any bennefit to upgrading to a newer one? Or are there better ones out there that I should look at?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so.

I have all the latest drivers, that I know of, from NVidia's site for my 6600GT.

Also, occasionally when I start up Media Center and go into My TV, it says that the video signal can't be read or decoded. When I restart it, the problem is usually fixed. And even less often when I go into My TV's digital channels, Media Center crashes and I have start it back up again. Usually the problems are fixed after a quick quiting of Media Center and running it again. Even so, it's very annoying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go to the Nvidia site and get the trial version of purevideo Driver web Page See if that helps you. Sounds like you do not have the correct version of the TV decoder you need or you are using one that does not like your system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I uninstalled all my drivers for FusionHDTV and WinTV 150MCE, did a clean reboot, reinstalled the drivers, and installed Nvidia's DVD decoder. Now, the video is worse. :mad: It's about 10 times slower. I tried installing Fusion's DVD decoder also with no change. I'm lost and frustrated guys. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

Could I have some stupid setting wrong somewhere? From what I've researched, my hardware should be able to handle everything I have. I'm guessing it's a software issue that I can't just find. :(

·
Registered
744 Posts
Have you looked at your CPU usage?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Take all your cards out except for the 6600GT and Hauppauge and run the program. Then test subsequent cards one by one.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If your MB is capable of 24 IRQs did you enable it for 24?

Do any devices used in playing TV have their IRQs shared with each other?

Do you also have trouble with recorded TV progams?

IF yes do you also have trouble playing back recorded programs with Media Player instead of with MCE?

Do you have trouble playing DVDs with MCE?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have experienced exactly the same problem in the past.

Check your AGP aperture size for your BIOS.

If it is set to 128MB or less you may run into problems just like what you are describing. Try after upping it to 256 or 512MB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
If your MB is capable of 24 IRQs did you enable it for 24?

Do any devices used in playing TV have their IRQs shared with each other?

Do you also have trouble with recorded TV progams?

IF yes do you also have trouble playing back recorded programs with Media Player instead of with MCE?

Do you have trouble playing DVDs with MCE?
I'm not sure how to adjust my IRQs.

Recorded programs turn out unviewable.

No trouble playing DVDs with MCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy
I have experienced exactly the same problem in the past.

Check your AGP aperture size for your BIOS.

If it is set to 128MB or less you may run into problems just like what you are describing. Try after upping it to 256 or 512MB.
I know my BIOS has AGP set a 8x but I'm not sure how to up the aperture.

:rolleyes: Thanks for your help guys, alot of this stuff I'm still very new on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.