AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if its possible to use the TV speaker as a center channel that works through the receiver?

I realize this probably isn't optimal, but just until an actual center speaker can be obtained.

I'm not sure if the Gallo Micro that is currently working as my center is leaving gaps in the midrange.

Any Ideas?

Mediccc24

Panasonic 53" WS HD TV

Motorola HD cable box

Cheapo Progressive Scan DVD

Yamaha 5760 Receiver

Sony SA-WX700 250w Sub

6 - Anthony Gallo Micro Nucleus speakers

·
Registered
232 Posts
why would it be leaving gaps in the midrange? its the same as the other speakers in your setup, right? do they sound ok? is the system level-matched? that makes a big differance. its not likely the tv speakers will match the timbre of the AG Micros. you could try it, and adjust the tone controls on the tv to try to match the other speakers.

sm.

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
Those Anthony Gallo Micro Nucleus speakers have THREE INCH drivers and will leave a HUGE gap in your midrange. They publish 80hz which is FALSE ADVERTISING, since NO THREE INCH DRIVER WILL HIT 80HZ driven. NO WAY. They rely on a high pass xovr to send all the mids and bass to the sub which creates a seam filled sound stage and intense localization problems. Depending on what is inside your TV it is possible that it would be better. For that matter, your clock radio may have a better speaker. I wouldn't advise using either though. Since you are wanting to upgrade, I would get rid of those little micro squawkers and get yourself a decent set of mains. Build around them as funds permit and eventually you will have a really nice system. Good luck, and welcome to the fourm.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a device which allows you to use the TV speaker as a center channel. The device converts speaker level audio to RCA level audio. So I guess it can be done.

I used to use it to convert my Speaker level audio for a pair of wireless speakers.

Anyways, if you're interested in how it works, or if you're interested in it, you can PM me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spruce - I think the micros are designed as sattelites and I'm not sure if I'm hearing what I'm supposed to hear when I use one as a center. I like the way they sound but I just don't know. Level matched? Sorry but you'll have to geek down a couple of notches. I'm still kinda new at this. :)

Artisn - Anthony Gallo is using false advertising? Really? And I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. I guess all that research I did before buying them was a waste of time. And thanks for the back-handed slam. I think I have a really nice system.

mshe - Thanks for actually answering my question. Depending on what it is, what is costs, and its ease of use, yes, I may be interested. Please PM me with some details.

Thanks Mediccc24

·
Registered
911 Posts
You might want to consider eliminating your center channel for the time being (using a phantom center) instead of using the TV for the center channel.

PRO:

no added expense

good soundscape at the sweetspot

perfectly timber matched

CON:

Comb filtering

small sweetspot (are many people watching at the same time? Are they critical of audio?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
You might want to consider eliminating your center channel for the time being (using a phantom center) instead of using the TV for the center channel.
How do I go about this?

Quote:
are many people watching at the same time? Are they critical of audio?
3 or 4 at the most and not particularly.

Thanks

Mediccc24

·
Registered
911 Posts
In your speaker setup screen, for center speaker select "none" (The other options should be "small" and "large") and your receiver shoudl sed the center channel info to the left and right speakers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
your receiver should have test tones that you can send to each speaker and a way to set the perceived volume from the listening position. that is level matching.

sm.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
does your tv have a "center in" rca jack in the rear?

Seth

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
your receiver should have test tones that you can send to each speaker and a way to set the perceived volume from the listening position. that is level matching.
My Yamaha has YPAO, so I imagine it would have done the level matching for me. However, I know there is a way to do it manualy.

Quote:
does your tv have a "center in" rca jack in the rear?
Now that would really make things easy, wouldn't it? Never even thought to look. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If the TV does have an "audio in/center in" you can run a line level RCA from the pre-outs on your receiver and use the TV as a center.

Try it out and see what sounds better but my guess is that if your sub is set up properly you will be better of using the center speaker as is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.