AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this in several forums, since I wasn't sure which was most suitable (this is my first post).

My wife and I are considering buying an old farmhouse, and we're having trouble fitting in our TV viewing setup. Here's a crude diagram of the room (15'x15'x9'):

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp NE

&nbsp |===========-----===========||

&nbsp |_____&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp ||

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp |

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp |

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp ||

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp #--|

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp #&nbsp &nbsp |

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp #FP&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp SE

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp #&nbsp &nbsp |

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp #--|

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp ||

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp |

&nbsp |&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp |

&nbsp |==&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp =========||

The current residents only watch a 25" TV sitting in the S corner. We'd like to keep a "big screen TV" if possible (we've used a Hitachi 60" RPTV for 11 years, but it's on its last legs), and about the only way we've been able to come up with to accomodate the seating, etc. would be to put the TV above the fireplace mantle (my wife's idea).

BTW, the fireplace now has only gas logs in it. The mantle is 56" high, 6" deep, and about 6' across. There is 48.5" above the mantle. There is a window (facing SE) on both sides of the fireplace; there is also a window (facing NE) on an adjacent wall. There is a crawlspace beneath the floor, and there is about 18" between the ceiling and the floor of the room above.

We use DirecTV, along with an outside antenna for "local" stations (about 45 miles away). We have a Hughes HD satellite receiver, and it can pickup HD OTA signals, too (of course, it also picks up non-HD signals). Only a couple of local stations are broadcasting HD signals, and they're not yet at full strength. We also have a non-HD DirecTV receiver that's connected to a stand-alone TiVo unit (i.e., not DirecTiVo). We also have a lot of DVDs. The component cabinet would have to go on an adjacent wall. The Hughes receiver has component output, but my main stereo receiver does not have component capability (I can upgrade if necessary).

What kind of TV setup (projector, plasma, etc.) should we get? How would we mount it securely above the fireplace mantle? I would greatly appreciate specific models and approx. prices, since I am not familiar with current offerings (and because time is short!). How long can cable runs be from the component cabinet to a projector? Would they be too long if I placed a projector on an elevated shelf at the back of the room, between our two chairs.

Thanks very much.

Jim

·
Registered
202 Posts
My quick answer to your "mounting concerns" would be to start by searching this forum for threads with the word "fireplace" in the thread title. At last count there were 14 such threads. Most of these deal with the questions very similar to yours.

Remember to use slow or slowest search speeds.

Oh, I'll just do it for you:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...der=descending

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
What kind of TV setup (projector, plasma, etc.) should we get? How would we mount it securely above the fireplace mantle? I would greatly appreciate specific models and approx. prices, since I am not familiar with current offerings (and because time is short!).
Since this is the Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays, I feel safe in recommending a Plasma display over a projector or (shutter) RPTV. I also think you will find that most of us recommend (circa April 2003): Fujitsu, Panasonic, or Pioneer displays. Expect to spend $4000 and up, depending on features such as size (42", 50", 60"), and resolution (ED or HD).

And of course, as always, read the Plasma forum FAQ .

·
Registered
235 Posts
jrh, I've got a room situation almost identical to yours, and I've been combing through the posts around here in search of the same info. you're lookin' for, and FWIW, I've concluded that plasma set, probably 42", above the fireplace is the way to go. Only a few that have tried this didn't like it, most that have done it seem to be very satisfied with it.

Now that I have just about got the wife's OK I'm actually starting to shop for screens, this is fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.