AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title says it all, a friend of mine wants to put together a half-decent home-theatre system for 1200 or under. She requested at least a 36" TV, then Receiver, Speakers, & DVD. Any suggestions about any or all of the above components? Personally I'd like to set her up with a Klpisch 5.1 system, but I think that would require a PC to run. Too bad, it's a VERY sweet speaker setup for like what, 300-400? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Nazgul

P.S. Obviously 5.1 is a must, preferably with DTS capability.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If your talking about the Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 system you dont need a PC. The speakers are already amplified, all you need is 2 1/8 miniplug to RCA converters which you can pick up from Radio Shack. I have the PM 4.1 for my PC. Awsome system, I can only imagine a 5.1.

Steve

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgul
Well the title says it all, a friend of mine wants to put together a half-decent home-theatre system for 1200 or under. She requested at least a 36" TV, then Receiver, Speakers, & DVD. Any suggestions about any or all of the above components? Personally I'd like to set her up with a Klpisch 5.1 system, but I think that would require a PC to run. Too bad, it's a VERY sweet speaker setup for like what, 300-400? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Nazgul

P.S. Obviously 5.1 is a must, preferably with DTS capability.
Sounds as if your friend has a reasonably tight budget. I'm not sure she can put together the entire system in component form including a 36" TV, for $1200.00. I think a "home theater in a box" package with a very basic DVD player and a promotionally priced TV will likely be the choice.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I like Philips stuff, the DVD player Im going to get is the Philips DVD712. It costs $180, the only place I found it was Sears. Its the highest end Non-prog. scan DVD player Philps makes. It has all the nescessary outputs. Composite A/V, SVHS, component, 6 CH analog, digital coax and toslink. Whatever you get be sure to take advantage of price discounts. Sears had 10% off everything in the store today and Best Buy has 10% off of first purchase with a BB credit card. Also take advantage of rebates. If you look at my 'beginner' HT set up in my profile, every one of the components I got on sale or after rebates, I would have liked to get a much better system but because of my age that was the best I could do, but I am really happy with it.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.