AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some quick help in choosing a table to fit my stuff on, as I have found nothing around at any of the stores that I am pleased with.

I am looking for something that will go with a 1917 house, with antique furniture, paint job, etc......

The table will need to hold 4 components, and will soon be holding a Panny 42" plasma...

I don’t know whether I want an "open" style or one with doors or glass doors...... what are the pros of having it all open? (Currently my stuff is behind a glass door black audio cabinet (cheap) I will not have room for a table AND a separate audio cabinet in the "new" house.

I argued for the WAF that a more modern, "cool" table with shelves would look good with the "high tech" plasma and associated gear in a room of antique stuff. If anything the overall footprint would be smaller than a separate table and cabinet. The current press is to put the stuff on a large (only 25" tall however) old chest with a separate cabinet (antique with not enough ventilation) for the gear.

Please help with any suggestions! I tried some searches for "furniture", etc but don't come up with much. If there are reputable online dealers, please let me know. I know buying a piece of furniture without seeing it in person can be as bad as buying equipment without hearing/seeing it as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure how a metallic frame cabinet with glass shelving will go with the antique furniture, but I'm probably the last person you should get an artistic opinion from :)

From a functionality point of view, ventilation is important (to me anyway, I live in a warm climate), but especially so if you have a receiver. Hooking up the componentry is a real bugger if your cabinet has a back panel too. If you can get your wife to approve all the cabling that will be visible hanging behind the cabinet, then I'd go the open plan. My live-in girlfriend has the entire house to put her nice things wherever she wants, so she accepts that the front 2 ft of the loungeroom is all mine :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
A suggestion.

I was in a similar situation although my house is newer. It turns out I was able to get a cabinet maker to custom manufacture a unit for the same price as a premade unit.

So maybe you could try that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You did not mention what kind of antique look you are trying to match (French, Queen Anne, Mission, whatever) but in any event I would also vote for looking at a cabinet maker to custom build something. Personally, I have and love the Salamander stuff, but antique looking it is not.

Custom cabinetry will allow you to work your components in as you need, and maintain a consistent furniture look at the same time. You should consider an opening in the center under the table top for a center channel speaker. Also, as far as ventilation, more is better. Depending on the style you are looking for you could have doors with fabric or perforated inserts. Personally I would not go doorless; as much as I love my AV components, I do not want to see them. Speakers and plasma are all that are visible.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm... I actually know a contractor who does custom cabinets.... I will have to give him a call, as that had not occured to me ither. I was looking for a mission style look.

We looked at www.uniquestylesolutions.com and a few of the Bello tables caught my evey, in particular the glass tops with the cherry wood sides....even then I have to wonder where on that sort of setup will I place at least 4 components PLUS a cnter channel (Gallo Due)

I had figured that something more modern would blend easier with other furniture than a wood cabinet, but that is just speaking for what I have seen out there. I do agree on the open look, I think behind doors looks cleanest.

Looks like it is off to the drawing board!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcrx
I was looking for a mission style look.

Could be time to stroll some local estate sales / antique shops etc, There is tons of antique and special interest furniture all over the web. Maybe a low vanity conversion or coffee table ...

Or something like this:

Regards,

Bruce

PS> Table is 25 H x 60 L x 20-1/2 D (Top Dimensions) & plasma = 50"

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be great! Another key for me is the to wall mount, or not to wall mount... if I go with the TV on the wall, I can get away with a regular table like that (with the center speaker on the table)

Otherwise it is hard to find a 3 shelf table that is low enough - but then I worry about the center channel being too low.

I suppose if I wnet table-top mount for the TV I could always mount a shelf just above the TV that would be just deep enough to hold the speaker...

I scrolled through the photos section for some ideas as well....never would have thought that THIS would be the hardest part.....

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.