AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please pardon my lack of "tech speak". Let me know if you need more specific info than the following to help diagnose....

-PC is a 1-yr old Gateway with HDMI out, running Windows 7

-TV is brand new 40" Toshiba LCD with 4 HDMI, components, etc

-Receiver is a Philips with 1 HDMI, components, RCA

The TV plays surround sound from the receiver with no problem when playing DVDs. When playing anything streaming off the PC, it only plays audio from the TV speakers and we can't get it to play through the receivers.

Component cables connect the TV to the receiver. HDMI connects the TV to the computer. I feel like we're missing something, and have tried RCA through various combinations to no avail.

Old TV worked fine, though for the life of us we can't figure out what we did differently.

Please help!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It seems fairly simple: There's no direct connection from the PC to the receiver that will carry sound!

Most newer TVs do not "forward" sound from video components to receivers, with the exception of their internal tuners.

I suspect your DVD player is connected to the receiver, and carries both video and audio to it... and then the component video passes through to the tv.

What you can do is connect a digital audio cable (optical or coaxial) between PC and receiver, depending on which connections your PC has. At the least you could connect via single (for stereo) or 3-4 (for 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound, respectively) 3.5 mm ("headphone plug") to twin RCA ("red and white", typically) cables... going from PC to receiver.

This is assuming your receiver doesn't have HDMI. If it has HDMI and can process audio through it, you should connect your PC to receiver via HDMI, and another HDMI from receiver to TV.

Could be a good excuse to upgrade the receiver.

EDIT: I misread something; you say your receiver has 1 HDMI; is that purely an output, or is there also an input too? If you have an input and an output, you should connect HDMI from the PC to the receiver, and one from the receiver to the TV.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, newer TVs generally speaking don't pass anything but stereo audio. So you need to get your audio going into your receiver directly, and not rely on the TV passing it along. Most modern systems go HTPC->HDMI->Receiver->HDMI->TV. If you receiver is older, you'll need to follow the advice above, and use analog audio out or SPDIF from your PC to your receiver.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Last I checked, Philips did not make 'receivers'. Looks like this is an integrated DVD Home Theater. So of course it plays 'sound from DVDs' since it plays those DVDs - and it sends video to TV via component.

What you need to do is run an optical cable from TV to Philips optical input. You also need to go into TV settings and make sure it outputs sound to optical. And you need to switch your Philips to whatever your digital audio input is labelled.

I would not worry about 'sound passing'. The TV should tell PC via EDID that it accepts only stereo PCM, and that is what PC should be sending - and TV should pass that on via optical.

If you wish to play multichannel material from your PC, you should disable HMI audio output, and run either optical or coax from PC straight to the Philips. That should let it pass DD and DTS bitstreams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the responses! Ok, to start, yes it is a DVD player, not a true receiver. Sorry about that. This is the model:

Philips: HTS3371DF7

I think Scorrpio has the answer we need, and we will give the optical audio a shot. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts