AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 20.1" LCD monitor from Dell yesterday and was wanting to use it with my bedroom PC and add a tuner card so I could watch TV and use it as a PVR also. I read, however, that anything other than the native 1600x1200 resolution doesn't look good.

As I understand it (not very well, I'm afraid) Dscaler will allow me to scale the video up to any resolution I want (in this case 1600x1200), is that correct?

If so, I just need to pick the tuner card... I'm thinking of the Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP, it's on the supported list, has a remote, and only costs $60. I search the forum for it, but only found 1 post by someone who just got it and hasn't installed it yet. Any comments on this card, or better choices?

I notice 1 of the requirements listed is a 16-bit sound card. Anyone know if the onboard sound on the Asus A7N266-VM will suffice?

Thanks in advance, I'm planning on putting through the order tonight, so I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seven
As I understand it (not very well, I'm afraid) Dscaler will allow me to scale the video up to any resolution I want (in this case 1600x1200), is that correct?
Welcome to the forum.

That is essentially correct. Actually Dscaler will do the deinterlacing, then your graphics card will scale it to the native resolution of the display device.

Will you be using an on-board tuner, or just the S-Video input on the card and an external source?

I have never used the Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP, so I can't comment on it. I'm sure someone else can (and will).

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, It's my understanding that Dscaler is a deinterlacer with all kind of different formats & filters. I think what your talking about is powerstrip that can give you custom resolutions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wanting to use the onboard tuner. I only have 1 TV down in my main HT setup, so I was wanting to use this so I can watch/record in my bedroom without buying a new TV.

I found some comments over on the dscaler site forums that said it was a good card to use with it, so I went ahead and ordered it (along with about $500 worth of other components to build a new HTPC.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.