AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so my HD tv died last night and all I got left now is my 28inch 1080p monitor. I figured I would just hook my cable box up to my monitor buts it a pain in the ass switching back and forth really. I'd like to watch my tv on my desktop again but I havnt done this in maybe 8 years. The last time I had a card like that was a Ati All In Wonder 9000

Basically though I just need a cheap way to take 1080i/p over component/hdmi from my Comcast HD cable box to my pc. I'm not going to even deal with the Coax connection since from what I understand On demand and everything else won't work. Not a big deal anyway. I looked a few straight up video capture cards but they seemed more geared for video camera's and cost 2x more then all the tuners I had seen.

I remember video cards having s-video-component adapters but I just replaced my last card with a 5850 so I'm out of luck on that front as well unless you can still do that somehow.

Input anyone?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
To summarize:

1. your TV doesn't work.

2. you have a computer monitor

3. you have a PC.

4. you have a cable box

For some unexplained reason, you want to connect the cable box to the PC.

Is this because you want to a replacement display, or you want to record TV?

What inputs does your computer monitor have?

Would an HDMI switch suffice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well basically I wanted to watch the output of my cable box on my desktop as I'm working. Sort of in a window. The aiw card I was talking about use to do this however since it had coax but this was 2001 before digital cable and whatnot. Things like on demand won't work. I was wondering if that was still possible to do now just except with hd and running through component cables.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifesideleft /forum/post/18290545

Well basically I wanted to watch the output of my cable box on my desktop as I'm working. Sort of in a window.

Then you do not really need a digital tuner card.

You should probably be looking for a video capture card, such as
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1196020

Beware that some people use capture card when they really mean tuner.

A tuner has RF input and typically an F-connector (aka "antenna" connection). Video capture has baseband video input, and could use BNC, RCA, HDMI, DVI or mini-DIN connectors depending on the type of video.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
if its a 1080p monitor it should have hdmi, just connect the comcast box to it, now you just need the sound to go somewhere. you arent going to easily be able to do what you want and you may be better off buying a new tv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts