AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hauppauge WinTV 1800 tv tuner. I used to work fine, but recently, I noticed that the quality of the recording progressively decreases at the channel number goes done. e.g. the quality of a program recorded on channel 50 looks fine while one recorded on channel 5 looks horrible (quite grainy and snowy). I know it isn't a problem with the cable feed because my STB displays those channels with the same clarity as it does with higher channels. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Is the cable run to your tuner a lot longer then the run to your STB?

The signal strength to your analog tuner connection apparently is not as good as the connection to your STB. You might try cleaning or replacing the coax cable ends or switching ports on the splitter between the line going to your STB and the line going to the 1800 card. If that does not help you probably need a signal amplier before the splitter.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Depending on your provider, your STB is showing you the digital version of those channels while your tuner card is getting the analog so a comparison is not valid. I know here in San Antonio, TWC basic and standard cable is sent in both digital and analog versions and of course the STB uses the digital version. Analog low numbered channels are more prone to line interference and it is not uncommon for them to look bad, that is another reason why digital is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Also make sure the coax you have is shielded. The coax itself if not shielded correct acts like an antenna and that OTA signal can bleed into the coax and degrade the signal.

- Josh

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all your help. I hadn't thought of checking my cable (I just assumed it was fine). However, I discovered it was accidentally (partially) cut by rubbing against ragged piece of metal. I replaced it and the tuner now works fine. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts