AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Happauge WinTV-PVR-350 tuner card? I am wanting to create my own PVR so I can do some archiving to DVD. I was wondering about the quality of the recordings if anyone has tried this. I was hoping to get near DVD quality recordings. Would a USB-2 tv-tuner be better than a PCI tv-tuner card or visa versa? I'm simply looking for the easiest way to schedule and record digitally and have the capability to archive to dvd.

Has anyone compared video quality of tivo recordings to PC tv-tuner recordings?

If you have any other suggestions for TV-tuner cards I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The PVR-350 is a solid card. I've got the PVR-250 myself, and I'm quite happy with it.

Take a look at SageTV while you're at it. www.sage.tv or www.freytechnologies.com. It's a really good PVR app that supports the Hauppauge cards as well as others. It's really the first PC-based PVR app that I've looked at as a viable alternative to my TiVo. It also supports multiple tuner cards, as well as saving in a ready-to-burn MPEG2 or even MPEG1 format for VCDs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which has the better video quality in your opinion between the PVR-350 and Tivo? What Video card do you recommend with the PVR-350? (I am not a 3d gamer)

Also, would you happen to know how to archive to the pc from Tivo as opposed to archiving to VCR? I don't have Tivo yet but archiving to VCR was definitely a negative for me because I want to be able to archive in a digital format. Thanks for your post and help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.