AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think I am having a GCE (gross conceptual error) here and need to rectify it.

TV tuner card vs TV capture card.

Here is my situation:

Cable box goes to the HTPC. I currently have a tuner card in the HTPC. I use VMC to change the channel on the cable box and I see it on my TV. I can record it, etc.

If I am only going to do this, would a capture card be better? Do I actually need a tuner?

Are they actually the same thing and I am just very confused?

OK, I know they are different, a tuner both captures and tunes, a capture only captures...but...when to use one or the other?

Help!

Lost in HTPCville...

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
TV tuner card is just a capture card with a TV Tuner on it. If you're using the S-Video input on you TV card, then you're just using the capture portion anyway.

Good luck finding a strait "capture card" (no TV tuner on board) that's supported by MCE.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You use a capture card when you provide your own tuner (in your case the cable box).

One of the tuners I have is an older Hauppauge PVR 150 (analog tuner). Up until yesterday I was using it as a "capture card" just like you. I had a cable box connected to it using s-video and VMC to record shows. I got a little tired of missing recording shows because in my area, power brown outs occur fairly often (causing the cable box to reset and turn off). Since I primarily record from the standard channels I decided to eliminate the cable box and connect the coax directly to the tuner on the PVR 150 thus I can now record directly from the card internal tuner and don't have to worry about the cable box getting turned off.

Anyway, having a tuner onboad is preferable although you may not always need it.

I just purchased a HD PVR, a strictly capture card, (no onboard tuner). I will have to use the cable box to feed the signal to it so that I can record.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts