AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam (and I'm almost sure it has). I am looking for a new TV to go along with the HTPC I just built. I want to get something around 60 inches, and price is a major factor.

I'm no expert on plasma vs lcd/led, but I know the basics. What I'm not clear on is why I keep hearing that plasma is less good for using with a computer. Since the HTPC is the main input to the tv, this sounds like a major issue. Will playing movies from the computer be a problem for some reason, or is the issue (whatever it is) for 'regular' computing (which I don't really do with this)?

Aside from this potential issue, plasma seemed like a better fit for me, primarily due to cost. Can someone please help me sort this out?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Plasma's are more susceptible to burn-in and temporary image retention when subjected to a constant video input such as a HTPC. But this is easily avoided by setting the screen saver function at a constant black screen.

I agree, more bang for the buck with a plasma, and no downside as long as you are using it in a light-controlled room.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Movie playing will be fine. Using it as a computer monitor the majority of the time regardless of a screensaver would concern me. If I am in VS.NET for 8 to 12 hours the screensaver wont kick in and you risk IR with the areas that have static forms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. For everyday use, I only spend a minute or two at a time in menus. The rest of the time the whole screen has moving content. That's the only issue? If so, it sounds like plasma would be the way to go. There are some decent looking 60" plasmas for around $1000. I'm in no rush, so I'm happy to wait for good sales, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.