AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a TV Unit ( TV UNIT that looks great. But I am running into heat problems and am forced to keep the front doors open, which obviously takes away from the look of the thing.

My components -

Pioneer BP320 Blu Ray

Onkyo HT RC160 (Soon to be replaced with a Pioneer because the space is WAY too small for how hot this thing runs)

Motorola PVR (this thing runs VERY hot also even when on standby)

XBOX 360 Elite

My first thought was to just take the back panel off but since it is so close to the wall it probably wont get enough ventilation anyway, heat will get trapped, A LOT of dust will accumulate, and you will be able to see all the cables from the front. Would drilling a couple of holes (mainly for the most used items - the receiver and PVR) and putting some fans in be smart? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Pretty cool looking (and versitile stand).

I have a couple of places where I have installed a fan in a cabinet. Most people take a 12 volt fan and run it with a 9volt transformer (old cell phone carger or other old transformer from forgotten equipment might work)so it is more quiet and it usually works pretty well.

First, it is hard to tell exactly how it is divided. Do the horizontal shelves go all the way back? Is there a vertical divider? Since you have lots of pre made ventilation holes on the back it seems like adding a fan blowing into each compartment would be the best, that way the hot air would be forced out the back. Assuming a vertical divider and shelves that allow air to flow, either cut one hole that is right over the divider between the two compartments or two seperate fans one into each.

Installing them on the bottom would be the best if you could probably but low at the back would be OK also. If the shelves do go all the way back, it would be a good idea to cut a hole or two in the middle fo the shelf, maybe 4 inch round or something that would never be seen with equipment but would allow air to flow up under each piece.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L /forum/post/18315030

Pretty cool looking (and versitile stand).

I have a couple of places where I have installed a fan in a cabinet. Most people take a 12 volt fan and run it with a 9volt transformer (old cell phone carger or other old transformer from forgotten equipment might work)so it is more quiet and it usually works pretty well.

First, it is hard to tell exactly how it is divided. Do the horizontal shelves go all the way back? Is there a vertical divider? Since you have lots of pre made ventilation holes on the back it seems like adding a fan blowing into each compartment would be the best, that way the hot air would be forced out the back. Assuming a vertical divider and shelves that allow air to flow, either cut one hole that is right over the divider between the two compartments or two seperate fans one into each.

Installing them on the bottom would be the best if you could probably but low at the back would be OK also. If the shelves do go all the way back, it would be a good idea to cut a hole or two in the middle fo the shelf, maybe 4 inch round or something that would never be seen with equipment but would allow air to flow up under each piece.

First off, great advice! To answer your questions... the dividers go all the way to the back. Each compartment is its own. I was thinking Id have to install 4 fans (one for each compartment) but 2 would work doing one on each side with half for the bottom and half for the top. Would a fan blowing IN work best? I am guessing that way it would blow the air and it would force the hot air out through the holes in the back correct?

The shelves are stationary and do not come out so I am not sure how I would be able to cut the hole. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yeah, I would probably use the fan to force cool air in. I would buy 120 mm fans.

As far as cutting, you should be able to do it form the back, but you'll need to buy a 4 inch hole saw. The center drill part of the fan will just make a useless hole in the shelf, but it will be covered up with the fans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts