AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
I have my OPPO 970hd DVD player upconverting to 720p which is 1280x720, yet my HDTV displays edge to edge across the screen (1368) so yes I think the TV is upconverting also. But... I have my TV aspect ratio set to 'set by program' and occasionally a DVD will display 1280x720 but usually it's 1368x ?

· One-Man Content Creator
25,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog /forum/post/0

Is it true that the HDTV upscales the image regardless if your are using a upconverers dvd player or not?

All (*) fixed-pixel devices deinterlace (if necessary) and scale (if necessary) any supported input signal to the native resolution of the display. Whether they do those tasks as well as some other device (such as an upscaling DVD player) is a much-discussed question.

(*) There are some Hitachi panels that display an interlaced signal directly.

-Bill

· Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/0

All (*) fixed-pixel devices deinterlace (if necessary) and scale (if necessary) any supported input signal to the native resolution of the display.

Really, they all CAN do this. Some have the option of not upscaling if you want, AKA 1:1 pixel mapping.

· Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog /forum/post/0

Is it true that the HDTV upscales the image regardless if your are using a upconverers dvd player or not?

ALL fixed panel HDTV (LCD, Plasma, Lcos, DLP) upconvert the signal to their native resolution.

For example if you have an 1080P LCD it has exactly 1920 x 1080 pixels. It must display exactly 1920 pixels across and 1080 pixels up an down. If you plug in a DVD player it may show 480P on the OSD. That is the source resolution. If your TV didn't scale then the DVD picture would look like a tiny square of 640x480 pixels in the middle of screen. There would be black bars taking up about 80% of the screen.

Some TV have a direct map or 1:1 feature. For example when I hook up my HD DVD player to my LCD it has an output of 1080P and my TV native resolution is 1080P so I select 1:1 mode because I don't want any scaling done. The TV shows exactly what is input.

The only TV that sometimes don't scale all inputs are older CRT HDTV (either direct view, rear projection, or projectors). They are slowly disappearing. Even CRT HDTV have a limited # of resolutions and will scale to match one of those resolutions.

Since the image is always scaled w/ fixed panel HDTV the amount of PQ improvement depends on your source and the display.

Examples:

You have an upconverting DVD player with similar quality scaler than your TV. Regardless of if it upconverts or not you will see similar quality.

You have a TV with poor upconverter (generally but not always in entry level models). You buy a very good upconverting DVD player and you see substantial PQ improvement.

You have a TV with very advanced upconverter built in. You buy a cheap upconverting DVD player to replace your current non upconverting player. The PQ actually looks much WORSE because the TV did a better job upconverting the 480P to1080P then your new DVD player does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.