AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I game on a 65" Toshiba with game mode on. It's a nice TV and gaming is great on it. But when using the built-in tool in Lips, the automated calibration tool set 78 ms.

But the other day, I was playing Lips on my PC monitor (23" 1920x1080 LCD) and the automated tool set it at 11 ms. Same console, same setup, same cable, etc.

It made a nice difference. Man, wish my Toshiba could get the same numbers!

I thought about posting this in the Toshiba forum to see, but I was wondering if accessing the maintenance menu can cut out any video processing that's still present while in game mode? I remember reading awhile back that game mode still has some processing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What type of video connection are you using for the Toshiba? If the Toshiba has a VGA port, try using that in combination to game mode. From what I understand, most of the LCD / Plasma sets that have VGA ports use the least amount of processing on VGA... Check both the LCD and Plasma threads on gaming performance / lag for more info.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
The problem is that TVs do a lot of extra stuff to enhance the picture quality above and beyond what a monitor does. 11ms is pretty much unheard of on TVs, even ones designed for low input lag (Sharps).

TVs sell, for the most part, based on how they look on the wall at Best Buy, with those crazy settings that sear images directly into your retina while you watch it. They don't sell based on input lag and other stuff like that. So companies don't focus on that.

A monitor, where it is designed for sitting at a desk and clicking on stuff, would be horrible with 78ms of lag.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy /forum/post/20854263

What type of video connection are you using for the Toshiba? If the Toshiba has a VGA port, try using that in combination to game mode. From what I understand, most of the LCD / Plasma sets that have VGA ports use the least amount of processing on VGA... Check both the LCD and Plasma threads on gaming performance / lag for more info.

On the Toshiba, I use the HDMI port.

I have tried the component ports and that dropped it down to 40+ ms.

It does have a VGA port but the instruction manual says that VGA only supports 1024x768. But I do remember Confidenceman saying to try it anyway because the instruction manual might be wrong. So maybe I'll check it out. But I remember people saying that VGA ports have no processing because they're meant for computers so game mode shouldn't be a factor for the VGA port.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow
No, DLP sets are always the worst for lag.
Idk about that. A dlp set performs faster then plasma sets. There is no way they are worse. The only way I can see it as being bad is off you were not using HDMI. I know that used to cause a problem back then. But I know for a fact its faster then flat panel tech.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/0

Idk about that. A dlp set performs faster then plasma sets. There is no way they are worse. The only way I can see it as being bad is off you were not using HDMI. I know that used to cause a problem back then. But I know for a fact its faster then flat panel tech.

Dlp and other rear-projection sets had a reputation for being some of the worst sets for input lag. Ign had an article proving as much back in the day. One of the reasons alien never released that 50+" super wide dlp monitor they had been showing at trade shows!

As far as your actual set-- go test it and know for sure! It's not hard to find out what kind of lag you're really living with!

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/20867772

I believe those articles all had to do with dlp sets not using hdmi. I know its pretty bad when not using hdmi. Really really bad. But the hdmi fixed the issues.

62" Samsung DLP running component xbox cables at the time and composite wii cables at the time.

Components were bad but not nearly as bad as the wii on composite. It was simply unplayable.

I notice no discernible lag with my 50" panasonic plasma running xbox HDMI. Doesn't mean it's not there, just don't notice it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My Optoma H78DC3 DLP projector tested in Rock Band at 17ms lag (component). That's pretty damned good. Half as much lag as my Sammy LCD in VGA, in HDMI the Sammy is even worse. Unfortunately my DLP LED projector that replaced it is not so fantastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.