AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started working here 12 years ago, we had one of those old multi-tube TV walls. I believe it was 6 tube TV's all pulling a different channel. It was updated shortly after I got here, to a system with 5 x 15" preview LCD's and 1 65" plasma viewing screen. I ended up inheriting support and care and feeding of this mess.

The problem is the system is aging and we are loosing more an more basic cable channels to the HD only tiers.

The backend of this system is 5 analog cable boxes, split one way to the preview screen and the other connected to a analog switch box, that is public switchable using a push button keypad (RS232) that toggles the sound and picture of the main screen.

I would like to upgrade this whole system to HD.

I've been trough many scenarios but I can't seem to make any of them work.

1. Replace analog tuners with Time Warner (TWC) HD cable boxes and HDMI 5x1 switch w/ RS232 control. PROBLEM - TWC cable boxes only have one HDMI out. I don't know if I can split this before going to the preview screens and switch box without signal HDCP issues.

2. Replace 5 analog tuners with 6 TWC boxes. Use IR Blaster / RS232 system to switch 6th box for main display screen. PROBLEM - Can't find any information on using RS232 with a TWC HD box, and can't find a IR blaster solution that is suitable for customer facing.

3. Replace 65" plasma with 90" LCD and digital signage solution. PROBLEM - TWC cable boxes only have one HDMI out.

4. Replace 65" plasma with large touch LCD and digital signage. PROBLEM - largest available for reasonable money is 70".

Forget 3 and 4, for now. Anyone have any ideas on 1 and 2?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Two thoughts...

- replace analog tuners with ATSC tuners, buy an antenna and show OTA

- use component instead of HDMI to avoid HDCP issues.

No idea on switching... sorry.

Have fun,

Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
News networks, CSPAN, Sports networks, don't seem to be available OTA.

Component may work for the smaller screens but not for the larger one. From what I know most boxes do not supply 1080p over component outputs.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty  /t/1468417/tv-wall-redux#post_23209631

Component may work for the smaller screens but not for the larger one. From what I know most boxes do not supply 1080p over component outputs.

But they will output 1080i over component, and since all of the CATV / OTA-delivered networks and content are 1080i max, it would look effectively identical to the HDMI output... And it would be simpler/easier/more reliable from a switching perspective.

The only real issue for component video in this situation would be if you wanted to include a device without a component output (ATV, Roku, BD player)

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.